[Ansteorra-announce] Bjornsborg 25th Anniversary!

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon Oct 15 17:19:13 PDT 2001

Hello!

Just a note or 20 about the Bjornsborg Heros event, to help assure a
safe and comfortable event for all...

The Medina lake area is beautiful, has character, and often features
spectacular sunsets, particularly with the site overlooking the lake in
the distance.

Geologically, the site consists of limestone sheets and rocks with cedar
and oak growing on, through, and around them; a thin layer of topsoil;
misc wild plants/herbs; and sporadic clumps of cactus.  Master Cynric,
who owns the site, hates fireants, so there are surprisingly few of them
(which, however, doesn't mean that on 44 acres, he's found them all).

Implications:

Though we've removed much of the cactus...we recommend that you wear
sturdy, closed-toed shoes because of the rocks.  Cynric has done
extensive mowing, so it's easy to see the ground in most areas....watch
where you step!  The actual list area is quite smooth, as it was a large
lawn at one time.

We have cleared many camp sites of a majority of their surface rocks
(several tons of which are now part of the foundation of our
storeroom).  We've beheaded many scrubby baby oak trees.  We still
strongly advise using a tarp under your tent.

The ground here laughs at plastic tent stakes.  Walmart (corner of 1604
and 471) has metal ones.

Some of the best camping areas are inside clumps of forest (we've
cleared the underbrush, and the topsoil is thicker), in the Yeoman's
Woods.  Go uphill from gate, and do a right turn at the Yeoman's woods
sign, and look for an unoccupied spot.  The area on either side of the
road near the Yeoman's woods sign is a fairly good camping site, also.

When balancing the quality of the camp site with its distance from the
list field, there are some really nice sites down in the Middle
Meadow...which is a bit of a walk up to the list area, but -much- closer
than our camp at Gulf War was to the list fields.  And, it's near
Strawhenge, where we'll have bardic activities at night.  Look for this
area, behind gate.

If you need help finding a place to camp, tell the folks at gate and
they'll provide assistance; we're hoping to have roving folks assisting
in this.

As the site is owned by Master Cynric, he does not mind when folks come
out early to set up in the daylight.  Some of us even set up last
weekend.

The roads on site passed my "1993 Ford Escort" test.  However, if you
have a short car, you'll want to drive very slowly and carefully (which
is what -I- did during the test)...and at times, avoid the wheel ruts
made by more macho vehicles.  It -is- better than the road into
Whitewater... ;)

The list field region has several permanent structures.   It is
partially surrounded by our Bigger Festival Tent, a permanent metal
shelter, the Barbican (castle-like facade), the keep, and a number of
trees.  This means:  There is very limited personal pavillion space from
which most of the activities can be viewed at once... but lots of space
to share under the Bigger FT and the metal shelter, or even under the
oaks.   Please come and share these good viewing areas with us and
others!  Feel free to put out your chairs/carpets...but please be
sparing in which you reserve, so that others can also have prime
viewing.  Also, invite others to join you...and get to know a new friend
or two!

There will be some children's activities, but they will not be
all-encompassing (though a additional child-watching cooperative, to
take place in a climate-controlled indoor place, seems to be
developing...inquire to participate on site).

The site is not a park, but a one-time ranch.  As a result, if you go
off-road, there is old barbed wire, lots of land on which to become
lost, drop-offs, scorpions, and 3 dilapitated squatters' shacks
(squatters no longer included).  We've put warning tape on the
shacks...but please don't let your kids wander off.

Also...we really don't want -anyone- climbing on Strawhenge.  The
strawbales and cement from which it is constructed -are- heavy...and
will collapse.  If someone is tempted to climb, they should consider the
wrath of Cynric and all of his ancestors, and rethink their plans.  He,
seriously, has promised to evict offenders from site.

With the recent rains, there will be some mosquito activity.  Remember
your Off!

Regarding the Party Area:  Any who have seen the site map with a distant
(but still very large and comfortable) loud/drumming/party area:  We
brainstormed and found a much closer area, in the upper meadow (above
the merchant area), that is even nicer.  There's a path up to it from
the main event area.  There is a separate vehicle entrance off of the
main road, for drop off.  The camping in this area is closer than in
most other areas of the site.  The path there is indicated by string.

 Tikis are welcome on this very dark site.  Fires are okay if you make a
fire ring.  Have a means of extinguishing the fire, near the fire.  Do
not leave fires unattended.   You may gather fallen wood or stumps that
we have excavated, on site.  There are also large brush piles.  Finally,
if you bring an axe and want to make them shorter, there is a good
number of fence posts piled up like strange log cabins within view of
the Yeoman's Woods sign.  If they have not been confiscated by the
kitchen...then feel free to partake.

---------------------------------------
Activities:

Remember your largesse!

Regarding fighting:  There is a one-on-one challenge field (with
barriers, if you want them).  A melee challenge field.  The barbican
(small castle facade...one half of which can be climbed upon).  A bridge
(outlined of straw bales).  We're not going to say, "Go here...fight
now!" Remember....your goal is to reveal your heroism.  These are the
backdrop...be thinking of what can you do with them?

Regarding A&S:  There will be a guildhall, where you will be able to
demonstrate or explain your project or craft and perform bardic pieces,
with hopes of being admitted to the guild.  You may also teach a class,
or try out a new skill.  And remember...Artisans and Bards can be heros,
too...

Court/Feast will be held in the Bigger Festival Tent, so even if it is
chilly outside, we'll be a little warmer inside.  Please bring your
banners to add to the decor!

There are only 150 reservations for feast, total.  Reservations accepted
by aferrell at texas.net.  I've tasted the rolled stuffed beef.  Yummmmm.
Also available, on a limited basis, without mushrooms.

After course, the Bjornsborg 25th Anniversary Bardic Circle will occur
at Strawhenge.

Virtual Tour of site:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~rferrell/savernake/sav_intro.html

Event Web:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~rferrell/heroes.html

Map of Site:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~rferrell/savernake/sitemap.html
(note...primary party area will now be slightly above the merchants'
area; there is a gate more north than that leading to paved driveway)

Site Directions:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~rferrell/savernake_map.html

Notes on Directions:
It takes about 20-25 minutes to get to the site from the corner of 1604
and 471 (Culebra).

Do NOT get antsy when you are on the first part of 1283 and see
references to other cross streets with numbers similar to CR270.
Continue to the flashing light...and the merge lane that's going to the
right, for the second leg of 1283.  This turn is very obvious.

Also...the only place where you can see an obvious split in lanes to
allow a left turn, on the second leg of 1283, occurs at CR270, where
you'll turn right.  You'll see it while coming down from the hill
preceeding the street.

The Via Ricardo is the road that you will take down to the Gate.  Look
for signs.

Watch out for deer!

What have I forgotten?  Probably lots.  If you have questions, write,
and I'll try to answer them...

Dona Isobel
Steward
Incipient Laurel ;)