[Ansteorra-announce] Volunteering at Gulf War

Brian & Pam Martin TWINOAK at prodigy.net
Sun Feb 10 08:48:01 PST 2002

    Greetings Ansteorra,

    So the time for pre-registration has past and most people know whether or not they'll be going to the war and are making their travel plans. The army is forming and training in preparation to meet our mighty and honorable foe upon the field. The rapier fighters are training also and sharpening their blades and deadly art. The artisans and performers who will represent our fabled land have been chosen and are prepared to display their skills and help win another point for Crown and Kingdom.

    So all of our bases are covered, are they not? Save for some preparation, travel and actual competition, things are set we have done all that we can do. Not true, Ansteorra, not true. Is our society not built upon three pillars? If we have fighting and the arts covered are we not forgetting one of those pillars? What of service? What of giving of ourselves and our time so that the very war can happen? Have we thought of that?

    Oh, you may think that we needn't worry about service. True, there is a war point given for the kingdom that logs the most service hours, but what? You didn't know that? Oh yes, its true. Oh but you may say that Ansteorra always wins that war point going away. This is not true! Yes, we have always won the volunteer war point, but did you know that after years of winning by a wide margin, we won by a mere 30 hours last year? Thirty hours! That is nearly a dead tie! Do you not think that our enemy is crafty and will do everything within the bounds of honor to win this war just as we will? Do you not think that they have not looked upon the volunteer point as a chance to gain ground? Of course they have!

    Ansteorra, we can not afford to become lackadaisical on this matter. We must remain vigilant and we must work hard! But there is more than simply volunteering to sit at gate guard, working security, bearing water and the many other services that must be done, we must make sure that the hours of service that we work are duly and accurately recorded with volunteer point.

    In order to ensure that Ansteorrans are kept informed of the service needs and how to going about logging and recording the hours worked, I have asked Mistress Clare Rosmuire St. John to lead Ansteorra's volunteer efforts for this coming Gulf War. Mistress Clare has in turn ask help from other Mistresses of the Pelican to aid her in this task. You can therefore expect to hear from Mistress Clare and her team to be making announcements and passing out fliers at events at events and electronically in the weeks to come. I ask you, all good and true Ansteorrans to remember that the war is not won on the battlefields alone. We must mount a total effort, but in doing so let us also remember to enjoy ourselves, our friends and our wonderful game.

    I remain in service to Crown and Kingdom,
    Pendaran Glamorgan,
    Ansteorran Liaison, GWXI