[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's files for January

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 1 21:22:35 PST 2002

Greetings to folks around the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January, detailing what is
new in my Florilegium files this month.

As you can see, many of the new files this month are articles
submitted to me by their authors. If you have written an article
that you think might be of interest to others across the Known
World, please send it to me to consider adding to the files. The
copyright stays with the author. If you have read an article
written by someone else that you think would be a good addition,
please encourage them to send it to me. Or send a copy to me with
contact info, and I will try to write them.

I also write a version of this article meant for posting on web
sites. If you manage an SCA oriented website and would like to
get this article for placing on your website, please contact me.

Best wishes to everyone, for a Happy New Year!

Stefan

-----------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past eleven years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and
articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this
information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

Files that are new or have been updated are indicated by a special
marker in the filelists at the website. In addition, the file
-updated-files is a listing of these files in chronological order.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in most sections of the
website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word or text formats.

If you find a bad link or other problem with the Florilegium website,
please let me know. Once I know about a problem I can usually fix it
that day but if no one alerts me to a problem it may be months before
I notice it myself.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

    THLord Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at florilegium.org
    Ansteorra                             mark.s.harris at motorola.com

The new files for this month are:
under ANIMALS:
   whales-msg         Hunting and use of whales in period.
under CLOTHING:
   clothing-LM-msg    Period clothing for large men.
under CRAFTS:
   Ceramics-Intro-art An introduction to pottery and ceramics
                          by Lady Artemesia Serena.
   Throwing-Pots-art  "Throwing Pots" by Lady Artemesia Serena.
                         Using a potter's wheel.
under CULTURES:
   Assassins-msg      A Moslem brotherhood of murderers created by
                         Rashid ad-Din Sinan.
under FOOD:
   cheese-goo-msg     Digby's Savory Tosted cheese. melted cheese.
   easy-p-recip-msg   Some easy period recipes. Ideal for new
                         cooks or for cooks new to period cooking.
   Tourny-Basket-art  "Filling the Tourney Basket" by Lady Caointiarn.
under FOOD-BREADS:
   brd-mk-ethnic-msg  Making various ethnic breads. Recipes.
under FOOD-CONDIMENTS:
   Honey-Butter-art   "Is Honey Butter Period?" by THL Katja
                          Davidova Orlova Khazarina.
under FOOD-SWEETS:
   Andlsn-Pstres-art  "Andalusian Pastries" by Dinah bint Ismai'l.
   comfits-msg        Period candied spices and seeds. Recipes.
   Pynade-art         "Pynade (Medieval Candy)" by Lady Constance de LaRose.
   Sugar-Icing-art    "Sugar Icing" by Johnnae llyn Lewis. Some
                         notes on sugar icing in late period.
under FOOD-UTENSILS:
   drinkng-strws-msg  Period and ancient drinking straws.
under NORSE:
   fish-skin-tan-msg  Info on Icelandic fish skin tanning.
under SCA-EVENT-PLANNING:
   event-maps-msg     Making maps to SCA events.

Here are some of the files which have had significant additions this last month:
   Anst-hist2-msg     Ansteorra history and stories related since 1997.
   breadmaking-msg    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
   cak-soteltes-msg   Cake based sotelties. Decorated cakes.
   cheese-msg         Medieval cheese. Recipes.
   chicken-msg        Period and SCA chicken recipes.
   eyeglasses-msg     Period eyewear. Making replicas.
   leather-msg        Working with leather. tanning.
   leather-dyeing-msg Dyeing and painting leather.
   marzipan-msg       Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
   p-armor-msg        Period armor. Referances.
   soapstone-msg      Use of Soapstone in period. Modern sources.
---
Copyright 2001, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net