[Ansteorra-announce] Grave News Regarding Dread Foe and War

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Mon Jan 14 13:36:34 PST 2002

	Greetings Unto all Good and Gentle Subjects of the Crown of
Ansteorra,

	As a knight in service to my Crown, as a baron in fief who has sworn
to protect the lands I hold from my King and Queen, and as an officer of
rank in the Army of Heroes, it is my sad and solemn duty to inform each and
every Ansteorran of the fires of war being lit in the East. Dread Trimaris
once again raises her war like visage and in bitter envy espies the wealth
and goodness of Ansteorra. It is well known that Trimaris is a low and
swampy place inhabited by scaly reptiles and winged parasites. Those poor
folk who by dent of ill luck have been born into these lands have heard tale
of the riches of Ansteorra. Long have the heard the tales of our mighty pine
forests, of the unending prairies where we do graze our vast herds, of the
mountains that adorn our land and of the many other wondrous gifts we so
enjoy in abundance. Therefore does envious Trimaris, like a hydra, rise once
again even more powerful than before and turn her head westward to war.

	For she is more like the hydra of myth than you know, dear
Ansteorra. Know that through cunning and guile, has Trimaris persuaded
Meridies to wholly join her in dread war. Thus has she grown more powerful.
In years past, when the Lion did grapple with the serpent, Meridies split
her army between the two warring parties - but this is not to be come
spring. No, this year, all of Merdies, a host huge in number, shall fight
against the Ansteorran Lion. Know you also that the other great serpent, the
dragon from the Middle Kingdom has found her like and has also sided with
her low dwelling cousin and does fight for Trimaris. Great will be the enemy
in number and in fierceness.

	While we can still count upon the support of our right good and
strong allies of Outlands and Calontir, we face great odds, Ansteorra. The
heroes from the Outlands have a very great journey and a war close to their
own home. Therefore are their numbers are likely to be small. And while the
Calontiri have always stood beside us, their wall unbreaking and their
spears like an ash forest, we cannot depend on our stout brothers to fight
for us. No, Ansteorra, we must once again take the field when Mars stalks
the southern lands. We must field a great and terrible army to turn back
this eastern tide.

	Our right good and royal King, bold Aaron has held council with that
great general Duke Kein, and has determined that this fight shall not take
place on Ansteorran soil. We must stem the tide of war before it reaches our
beloved land. Therefore you men and women of Ansteorra, the fight does fall
to us. King Aaron and Queen Britta call us, we must raise the host! Gather
your households and your servants, burnish the spear and sharpen the rapier,
gather your stores and load the wagons for your duty is clear. Strength of
arms alone will not win this war - great service and sacrifice from all will
be needed! For every broadsword and rapier, there must be three men and
woman giving of their time and service to make their way possible. That is
how war is won. Let also the bards, the poets and the troubadours gather so
the feats of the heroes will be recorded. Let our artists come forth with
fineries and things of beauty to inspire the army, and to remind Trimaris of
that which they covet, but may not have.

	I have come to warn you, great and mighty Ansteorra, of the task
which is before you. A host with warriors as numerous as the stars comes
forth to conquer our fair land. I beg you all, when the Crown calls forth
Their host, do not wait an instant to join in that number. For if you do,
great will be your sorrow when the storied heroes return all draped in glory
and in song. For such is the lot of heroes.

	I remain in service to my Crown, my Kingdom and my God,
	Pendaran, Lord Bryn Gwlad