[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's files for August

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 2 22:39:40 PDT 2003

Greetings Everyone,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

As I have for the past few months, I've included some information about
the Florilegium Tile Project. We still have two display events left,
one at Pennsic and one at the Known World A&S Collegium in Phoenix.
There is still time to complete and enter a tile. You can enter a tile
up to the day of the display. The display at Pennsic will be at the
barn on Tuesday, August 12 from 10 until 3pm. Please note that this is
a day before the previously announced date due to some scheduling
problems. So, if you see this before you leave for Pennsic you could
still make a tile at Pennsic for this display.

If you are not making a tile, please consider coming by and taking a
look at the display and see the wide range of medieval arts that others
do in the SCA. Please feel free to leave some largess, especially
Nobles and Peers on the tiles that impress you the most. Remember that
even if you don't go to Pennsic you can still get a look at the tiles
on the website because pictures of the tiles will be posted there after
the event.

I will be camping with the SPCA group at Pennsic in section W10 down
near the lake. Please feel free to come by and visit.

Stefan
-----------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past thirteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and
articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this
information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

In April I had my harddisk distroy itself. Things are almost back to
normal, however the formatting of the new and updated files is still a
bit rough. Please bear with me while I get the specialized reformatting
programs required for a cleaner output rewritten.

If you have sent me an article for the Florilegium and have not seen it
appear on the website, could you please send a copy to me again, for
alas,
I may have now lost it.

I am always interested in new articles. Especially now. :-) If you have
written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA,
please
send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at florilegium.org
      Ansteorra                             mark.s.harris at motorola.com

Here are the new files for this month:
Under ANIMALS:
    coursing-SCA-msg     Coursing dogs in the SCA.
Under CRAFTS:
    p-lathes-bib         Bibliography on period lathes and turned
                            objects by Master Magnus Malleus.
Under ENTERTAINMENT:
    Tarot-Crd-Ruls-art   A reconstruction of the rules for the game
                            of Tarot by James D. Wickson.
Under FOOD-MEATS:
    meatballs-msg        Period dishes with meatballs.
Under TRAVEL:
    p-travl-guides-msg   Period travel guides.

And two of the updated files include:
    cheesemaking-msg     Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
    sugar-paste-msg      Making sugar paste sotelties.

Looking for a fun summer time project? Want to try a new art form, but
haven’t gotten the courage to plunge into it? Want to show off a period
art to those around you but don’t like the usual SCA A&S competitions?

Well, consider entering an item in the Florilegium Tile Project. This
is a
Known World wide project and have or will be held at three of the major
SCA events this summer. We had the first display event for the project
in June at the War of the Lilies in Calontir, Pennsic in August will be
the next event and the then the Known World A&S Collegium in September
in Atenveldt. You don’t have to be present to enter, if you can find
someone else to bring your tile to the event.

The basic premise is to make an 8 x 8 inch or a 4 x 4 inch tile using
any art form done during the SCA period, whether it was used then for
tiles or not. Perhaps a carved wood or ivory tile or a parchment tile
of calligraphy or a tile of marzipan or metal tile. You could even make
one of ceramic. No, no solid
chocolate tiles. It has to be a material known in period.

The design on the tile is up to the artist. At each of the display
events
we will be arranging these tiles into a large gridded pattern. At the
event
you will be able to get a listing showing which tile was at which
location
so you can identify the tiles in your photographs later.

More details can be found on the website:
http://www.mindspring.com/~tripper/serena/TileProject/
We even have a maillist for those who would like to discuss tile ideas,
resources or ask questions. FlorilegiumTiles-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Folks, especially Nobles, are encouraged to give largesse to the entries
which impress them the most.
---
Copyright 2003, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com