[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's files for August

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 22:03:20 PDT 2004

Greetings to those across the Known World!

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August describing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

I am off on pilgrimage to Pennsic next week. I will be camping with my
household, SPCA, in section W10 which is down by the lake. If you are
also going to be making this pilgrimage this year,  please feel free to
come stop by.

I believe I have lost my contact for the Middlebridge mail list in the
Middle Kingdom, who was Kahlen since the email address I have for her
is bouncing. If someone can pass on word to her to contact me, please
do. Or if you are on that list and would like to be my backup
representative for that list, or possibly my primary representative if
I can't contact Kahlen, please contact me.

Thanks,
Stefan
--------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

One of my prime concerns currently is to update all files to the new
format which includes several new features such as making links
"pickable" and some  disguising of all email addresses to make it
harder for the spammer's programs to harvest email addresses from this
site. I support the execution of any convicted spammer. Yes, I am
modifying all 1800+ files as fast as I can. This  means that while I
will continue to add new files each month, the usual amount will  be
reduced. However, as I update the files to the new format, I am adding
any information I have waiting to go in a file, so there will be more
updated files. Please let me know if you like the new format or have
any suggestions.

Here are the new files for this month:

In the CRAFTS section:
    p-petroleum-msg      Period use of petroleum. Crude oil.
In the PENNSIC section:
    New-2-Pennsic-msg    Information for those new to Pennsic.
In the SCA-CAMPING section:
    camp-toilets-msg     Camp toilets for private camps.

Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the
largest amounts of new material:
    almond-cream-msg     A sweet custard filling used in sotelties.
    berries-msg          Period berries and berry recipes.
    comfits-msg          Period candied spices and seeds. Recipes.
    cordials-msg         Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA creations.
    corsets-msg          Tudor and Elizabethian corsets. making them.
    desserts-msg         Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
    fruit-citrus-msg     Period citrus fruits. Recipes.
    fruit-pears-msg      Period pears and pear recipes.
    gingerbread-msg      Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
    ice-chests-msg       Using ice chests at SCA events. Disguises.
    jalabs-msg           Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup base such
                            as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
    kumiss-msg           Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
    marmalades-msg       Period marmalades and fruit jellies and jams
    marzipan-msg         Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
    newcomers-msg        How to make newcomers to your group.
                            confortable. Integrating newcomers.
    saffron-msg          Types of saffron. period uses.
    soap-msg             Period soap and soapmaking.
    spiced-wine-msg      Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.
    wine-msg             Medieval wines.

And for those going to Pennsic, take a look at the files in the PENNSIC
and SCA-CAMPING sections for some interesting stories and history about
the event and some good info about how to manage the camping at such an
the event, especially if this is your first Pennsic.
---
Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com