[Ansteorra-announce] Savoury Tosted Cheese Contest

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 28 11:14:09 PST 2004

There will be a Savoury Tosted Cheese Contest held this Candlemas in the
Barony of Bryn Gwlad.  Entrants will need to follow the basic recipe sent
forth by Sir Kenelm Digbie's recipe (and not Cariadoc's redaction).  We're
looking for new redactions of the old familiar and much beloved
recipe!  Now is the time to show off your own special way of preparing the
recipe.  The rules of the contest are simple.
1. Register to enter by sending an e-mail to CR St. John at
nweders at mail.utexas.edu.  Nothing fancy just let her know.
2. Use the original unredacted recipe to start.  Anyone using Cariadoc's
redaction will be smeared with their own cheese goo.  A copy of the new
redaction must be placed beside the entry for our judges to compare and a
brief explanation of why you redacted it the way you did.
3. Entrants must have their own heat source.  You will not be allowed to
use the Hall's kitchen and disrupt the cooks there in anyway.  Extension
cords, if needed, will have to be brought by the entrant.

We have an excellent set of judges  known for their gourmet tastes (but are
not necessarily cooks themselves - freeing up our best chefs to give it a
try).

                 Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese
Sir Kenelme Digbie's The Closet Opened, 1669
Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of Brye,
Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick beaten
melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or pease, or
other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton : and , if you
will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of Gambon of Bacon, or
fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or Anchovis, and set all this to
melt upon a Chafing-dish of coals, and stir all well together, to
Incorporate them ; and when all is of an equal consistence, strew some
gross White-pepper on it, and eat it with tosts or crusts of White-breat.
You may scorch it at the top with a hot Fire-Shovel.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask .  Thanks for your time.

Clare RosMuire St. John
nweders at mail.utexas.edu