[Ansteorra-announce] The Cock and Pie Tavern at Loch Guardian

Stephen Tapster stephen_tapster at thebaronsmen.org
Tue May 11 21:40:30 PDT 2004

'Ello milords and ladies.

Many's th' times I've 'eard 'at Adam Seymour rabbitin' on about 'is
play'ouse, th' Aster.  Why, jus' las' week th' Baron's Men played Th' Merrie
Wives of Windsor there an' ye should've 'eard the ruckus!  'Owls of laugher
I 'eard all even, an' then there wuz this thund'rous cheer and applause went
up a' th' end - ye'd 'ave sworn a tempest wuz brewin', ye'd 'ave!

Oh, me an' my manners.  Tapster's th' name, Stephen Tapster. I run th' Cock
an' Pie Tavern next t'th' Aster, I does.

Now, while you good folk 'ave seen th' Baron's Men on stage, they's good
customers o' mine, they is, an' I've 'eard all th' scuttlebutt 'round behind
th' curtain, if ye knows what I mean.  See, I 'ears it when things are going
good ... an' I 'ears it when things are going bad.  Now 'at Adam Seymour,
salt o' th' earth, 'e is.  'E's promised th' Baron's Men a share o' th'
profits from the play!  Thing is, profit's usually th' last thing any
establishment sees, an' well, me best customers is seen better times,
they 'as.

Since 'at Adam Seymour's capable of speakin' for 'imself - 'e knows 'at
Queen's English, 'e does - I'll leave 'im to tell ye about th' play.  But let
me tell ye 'bout th' Cock an' Pie!  We'll be 'avin' the finest ales th'
brewers can supply.  Cordials 'at'll bring a tear t' yer eye.  Fun an'
merriment.  An' on nights when th' Baron's Men play, they usually
find 'emselves 'round f'r a tipple, 'ey do!  Famous players, right there a'
th' next table t'ye, fresh from th' stage a' th' Aster!

But if I could beg a boon from ye, good folk.  Though yer welcome an' all t'
th' Cock an' Pie, I would ask tha' ye help me best customers out, ya
see, 'fore th' 'ard times gets 'arder for 'em.  We'll be 'avin' a pitcher at
th' bar to raise some coin to 'elp pay some o' th' Baron's Men's expenses,
an' if ye'd be good enough t' leave some coin for 'em, I'd be in yer debt.
They's my best customers, ya see.  An' th' brewers could use some coin
to 'elp wi' what they bring in to th' Cock an' Pie.  It does take a pound
note 'r two to brew beer, and a goodly bit more to produce a play, Mister
Seymour tells me.

Well, I've spoken me mind wi' ye.  Go see th' Merrie Wives o' Windsor
presented by th' Baron's Men a' th' Aster Theatre, which on th' Ides o' May
will be a' Loch Guardian.  Come by th' Cock an' Pie after f'r a flagon o'
finest ale.  An' bring yer spare coin t' help th' Baron's Men - a' least,
until Mister Seymour sees those profits 'e promised me friends.

So says me, Stephen Tapster, proprietor o' th' Cock an' Pie Tavern.