[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's Florilegium files for February

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 23:15:09 PST 2005

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February, detailing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

I always welcome comments and suggestions, as well as criticisms. I am
constantly trying to improve and add to the Florilegium, so it helps to
know what you find useful and what you don't.

I am always looking for new material suitable for the Florilegium. This
could be an article on an SCA or medieval subject which you've written
for a local newsletter or even A&S documentation or a class handout
which will stand alone without the A&S object or the class. My standard
policy is to take updates, so you can always replace these with a more
standard article in the future. In the meantime, people can be making
use of what you have learned.

I plan to attend the Gulf Wars event again in March. If you are going
to be there and would like to come by to give me your comments about
the Florilegium or just to chat, please do so. I will be staying with
my home group, the Barony of Bryn Gwlad, who are usually camped across
from the Ansteorra gate.

Thanks,
   Stefan
----------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fifteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

One of my prime concerns currently is to update all files to the new
format which includes several new features such as making links
"pickable" and some  disguising of all email addresses to make it
harder for the spammer's programs to harvest email addresses from this
site. Yes, I am modifying all 1800+ files as fast as I can. This  means
that while I will continue to add new files each month, the usual
amount will be reduced. However, as I update the files to the new
format, I am adding any information I have waiting to go in a file, so
there will be more updated files

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
    finger-rings-lnks    Links to information on medieval finger
                            rings by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CLELBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
    Halloween-lnks       Links to Halloween and its origins
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
    Holiday-Celeb-lnks   Links to medieval holiday celebrations
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the FEASTS section:
    kitchen-knives-msg   Kitchen knives for the modern kitchen and
                            feast preperation, Knife care.
In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
    Crdoon-Articke-art   "The cardoon and artichoke in 16th century
                            Italian cooking" by Mistress Helewyse de
Birkestad.

Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the
largest amounts of new material:
    clotted-cream-msg    Clotted cream products. Devonshire cream.
    dumplings-msg        Period dumplings. Spetzle. Recipes.
    dyeing-msg           Dyeing techniques and discussion.
    food-gifts-msg       Period food items that make good gifts.
    frittours-msg        Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.
    grape-leaves-msg     Use of grape leaves in cooking. Sources.
    linen-msg            Period and modern linen cloth. Sources. Care
    monks-msg            Medieval monks and orders. Monk's clothing.
    mustard-msg          Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
    pilgrm-badges-msg    Medieval pilgrim badges. References.
    soup-msg             Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
recipes.
    verjuice-msg         Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
    vinegar-msg          Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
---
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com