[Ansteorra-announce] King's College Thanks

kc wilde mariferch at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 13 11:31:19 PDT 2005

Now that I’ve had a moment to catch my breath, I would
like to extend both my official and personal thanks to
the fine people who made King’s College 2005 possible.

Praise and accolades unto the following gentles:

Lady Dagmar of Bohemia and HL Anya Gordon Lamont, the
stewards of the event.  I received word from Lady
Dagmar, along with the Barony of Namron’s wonderful
event bid, *just* as I had decided that threats and
bribery were going to be required to obtain a hosting
group.   Because of Dagmar, Anya and the good Barony
of Namron, that was not necessary.  They provided a
spacious, well-equipped site, provided me with all the
information I requested, put together a well-heeled
crew of tireless assistants, arranged for lavish
spread of food and drink, dealt with the few problems
that arose, and basically took care of all the
physical aspects of the event, so that I could
concentrate on class coordination.   That was just
what I needed.  Ladies, I hope you will convey my
appreciation to Marguerite, Richard, Alix, Owen, Tadhg
and everyone else who lent a hand.  I regret I did not
learn or cannot remember everyone’s name, but you have
my thanks nonetheless.

Mistress Gwyneth Blackrose, freshly sworn-in as
Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences and Mistress
Jehanne d’Avignon, late of that same office, who
provided me support, guidance and iron-clad back-up in
times of stress, and pretty much let me have free rein
with every aspect of my office.

To Their Majesties Ulstead and Cateaux for supporting,
attending and participating in this year’s King’s
College.  Due to its placement on the calendar
(usually opposite Lilies War), we do not normally
count upon the presence of the Crown.  It was
delightful (even charming) to see You taking classes
and learning alongside Your populace.

To all the King’s College 2005 Instructors.  Without
you, there simply is no King’s College.  Thank you for
your knowledge, for your effort, and for your
generosity of spirit.  Throughout the day I was given
many compliments on the array of wonderful classes.  I
pass them along to you.  At its most basic, King’s
College is only as good as what it offers.  You
provided such a banquet of learning that the boards
groaned beneath it.  All who sought knowledge there
were fed.  Brevity demands that I not list your many
names.  (Well, that and my dread of inadvertently
missing someone.)  You know who you are, and you each
have my thanks.

To the Students.  Just in case it isn’t obvious, YOU
are the reason we host King’s College, and have done
so since CE 1977.   Take what you’ve learned, and
share it around, and come back for more next year.
Never stop learning.  There is always something new
and wonderful.

And finally

Mistress Gunnvor Silfrhar.   Because of you, we have
an interactive King’s College website.  Because of you
we have Online Registration, detailed class
descriptions, a clear schedule, and All Manner of Good
Things, virtual and otherwise.  A great many people
tried to compliment me all the wonderful aspects of
the website.  I immediately directed them to go burn
incense at your altar.  It is only by your good graces
– your knowledge, generosity, perseverance,
problem-solving skills, and general fortitude – that
such a website exists; much less one that so
facilitates registration, scheduling, class and event
information.  I can only imagine the confusion,
complaints and unhappiness (my own, primarily) that
would have rained down had you not agreed (once again)
to shoulder this onerous duty.  The phrase “I couldn’t
have done it without you” is trite and overused.
Sometimes it’s the only appropriate thing to say.
Imagine it uttered in all sincerity.  You have my
deepest appreciation, highest compliments, and most
abject apologies for the last two years.

My most earnest thanks and appreciation for everything
these good people did to make King’s College 2005
memorable and successful.

I’m going to go lie down now.

Sincerely,

Baroness Mari ferch Rathyen, OL, Lion, etc.
Deputy Kingdom Minister of Arts & Sciences – King’s
College (retired)

"A valiant man, Sire, fears no enemy, but the righteous anger of noble women weighs upon him as a heavy burden."