[Ansteorra-announce] [Announcements] SCA.ORG INTERNET SERVERS TO UNDERGO UPGRADE

LMOORE2122@wi.rr.com LMOORE2122 at wi.rr.com
Sat Jan 14 11:30:57 PST 2006

SCA.ORG INTERNET SERVERS TO UNDERGO UPGRADE

On Sunday, 15 January 2006, the sca.org Internet servers will be taken
offline temporarily to perform a major system upgrade. Beginning at
approximately 4:00 a.m. US Central Time (10:00 GMT), and continuing
until approximately noon US Central Time (18:00 GMT), various services
will be inaccessible.

As stated in the announcement sent January 13, 2006, sca.org email
addresses have experienced some severe performance problems recently
due to technical issues on the sca.org mail server. Fortunately, we
were already in the process of migrating to a new, faster server when
these problems arose, and so we have accelerated the process of moving
email accounts.

There will be a brief period when almost all sca.org services (web,
mail, etc.) will be unavailable. During most of the scheduled outage,
however, normal web pages on www.sca.org will continue to work.
MEMBERS WILL NOT ABLE TO USE THE ONLINE MEMBERSHIP SYSTEM, NOR ORDER
ITEMS THROUGH THE ONLINE STOCK CLERK PAGES, DURING THE OUTAGE. Please
wait until Monday to use the web pages that perform financial
transactions of any kind, or make sure your ordering is completed
before the beginning of the scheduled outage.

The main focus of the upgrade is the email system and therefore that
system will be offline for the greatest time. This includes all of the
email lists at the corporate level such as announcements at sca.org, plus
the corporate officer's sca.org email addresses.

All user accounts for the Known World Mail service, which offers email
addresses in subdomains such as lady.sca.org, pelican.sca.org,
archer.sca.org, and so on, will be moved to the new server during this
scheduled outage. Most users will notice no changes other than that
their account will work faster. A document will be published on the
sca.org web site this weekend to explain what differences you might
notice and what to do about problems that may occur.

During this weekend's transition period AND FOR A FEW DAYS AFTERWARD,
users of Known World Mail will be able to send and receive mail but
will not be able to update their personal preferences or order new
accounts. The KWM account settings must be "frozen" for a few days to
ensure that no data is lost during the move. You will be able to send
and receive normally, but may not be able to change your password or
modify signature blocks or other personalized features until later
next week.

 The most noticeable change for most members of the populace is that
all of the email lists (such as the director’s list) will now be
located in a subdomain called "lists.sca.org". So for instance, the
Directors address will now be "directors at lists.sca.org". For a while,
the old list addresses will redirect to the new lists, but will auto-
reply to the sender as a reminder to update your address book.
Likewise, the web pages that let you subscribe or unsubscribe the
lists, change your subscription options, or view the archives, will
automatically forward to their new addresses for a while.

This is a major transition, and though we hope to make it as trouble-
free as possible, it is unlikely that we will accomplish such a major
change without some bumps along the road. We apologize in advance for
any inconvenience this may cause, and we look forward to providing you
with improved services once we have migrated to the new computer.

It will be very helpful if those whose needs are not urgent could wait
a couple of days to see if problems are resolved before submitting a
new trouble report, since the chances are very good that someone else
will have already reported the same problem. The more time we spend
reading duplicate reports, the less time we have to actually fix the
problem. We trust in each person's good judgment as to whether the
problem needs to be fixed TODAY or can wait a day or two to see if
someone else has already made us aware of it.

In the near future, we will also be moving the SCA's web site to the
new server, and in the longer term, we are working on a design upgrade
to offer improvements and new features.

Once again, thank you for your assistance with this matter.  We
appreciate your patience while we improve the services available to
our members.

In service to the SCA,

Scott Courtney, Chief Technical Officer, SCA Inc
(Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin)

Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
SCA Inc.
Box 360789
Milpitas,  CA 95036

You may also email comments at sca.org or reply to this message.

This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for Creative Anachronism , Inc.  Permission is granted to reproduce this announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing lists.