[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's Florilegium files for July

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 10 00:01:04 PDT 2006

Greetings to SCA folk across the Known World!

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for July, detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

As usual this should be going out to all the kingdom mailing lists,
whether directly from me or through various representatives. I like
to have backups for these folks in case they are off on vacation when
I send out this message or otherwise occupied with that thing called
"a real life". I believe I need some backup representatives for the
following kingdoms, Atlantia, Caid, Drachenwald, Ealdormere,
Meridies, Outlands and Trimaris. These folks would hold my message
and send it on to the list only if the message didn't appear from the
primary kingdom representative. I definitely do not want to spam a
list with multiple messages or if it is unwanted there.

If you are interested in helping out in this way, please contact me
by email.

As usual, I am always looking for good, interesting articles for the
Florilegium. This could include a class handout or an A&S paper or
contest documentation if they will stand alone without the class or
the actual A&S object.

If you have an idea for an article that you would like to see in the
Florilegium, I would appreciate that as well. Perhaps someone is just
waiting for an article idea or two.

Thanks,
   Stefan
-----
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the COMMERCE section:
    silk-road-msg        The silk road medieval trade route.
In the FEASTS section:
    cookng-grains-msg    Cooking grains in quantity.
In the FOOD section:
    whey-cheeses-msg     Cheeses such as ricotta made from the liquid
                            left after making other cheeses.
In the FOOD-SWEET section:
    pulled-sugar-msg     The case for and against pulled/spun sugar
                            being period.
    rice-pudding-msg     Period rice puddings, both savory and sweet.
    snow-msg             “Snow”, a white, creamy confection often
                             served with wafers.

Here are some of the updated files.
    absinthe-msg         A cordial made with wormwood.
    bread-for-fsts-msg   Baking and buying bread for SCA feasts.
    burials-msg          Period funeral practices.
    cider-msg            Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
    dayboards-msg        SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day meals.
    feast-serving-msg    Ideas for serving feasts. How to organize.
    fowls-a-birds-msg    Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
    fresh-cheeses-msg    Fresh cheeses cream cheese and cottage cheese.
                            Non-aged cheeses.
    frittours-msg        Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.
    fruit-quinces-msg    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
    ham-msg              Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
    mustard-msg          Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
    plums-msg            Period plums and plum recipes.
    rotten-meat-msg      Comments on the "they used spices to cover
                            the taste of rotten meat" myth.
    sauces-msg           Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
    taverns-msg          SCA and period taverns.
    verjuice-msg         Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
    vinegar-msg          Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
    waterbearing-msg     Water and beverage distribution at events.
---
Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com