[Ansteorra-announce] Never got a scroll? Here's how!

Kimberly Langhans sarapenrose at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 15:21:00 PST 2007

Greetings all!

As you may be aware, there is a heraldic/scribal
officer called Golden Scroll who is responsible for
filling requests for replacement charters. A charter
is the preprinted, hand-painted document that is
distributed with most Ansteorran awards, and which
most people refer to as scrolls.

If you received a grant-level or lower Ansteorran
award, but never got a scroll, you can now request
one. Golden Scroll fills requests for
non-armigerous, AoA-level, and Grant-level Ansteorran
awards for which we currently have charters, including
the following:

Nonarmigerous:
- Sable Falcon
- Queen's Rapier
- Rising Star
- King's Archer
- Golden Bridle

AoA:
- AoA
- Compass Rose
- Sable Comet
- Sable Thistle
- Sable Talon
- Sable Crane
- King's Gauntlet
- Queen's Glove

Grant:
- Grant of Arms
- White Scarf
- Star of Merit
- Iris of Merit
- Arc d'Or
- Golden Lance
- Centurion
- Court Barony

Ceremonial honors:
- Queen's Champion
- King's Lancer

Golden Scroll does not fill requests for Peerage,
Royalty, or Lion scrolls, which are always original
scrolls rather than pre-printed charters. Please
contact Star Signet for information about requesting
an original scroll.

Golden Scroll also cannot currently fill
requests for scrolls for baronial orders, any
ceremonial honors not mentioned above (for instance,
King's Champion, Kingdom Bard, and so forth), or
closed orders.

The intent of the office is to fill requests for
people who never received a scroll with their award or
who lost their scroll due to extraordinary
circumstances, such as a house fire. It is not
appropriate to request a replacement scroll
because you don't like the colors on the scroll you
received, spilled a Coke on it, or changed your name.

Other requests will be considered on a case-by-case
basis. If you're not sure, please ask!

To request a charter, just contact me with the
following information:
- Your mundane name, address, phone number, and email
address
- Your SCA name
- The name of the award, where you received it, the
date you received it, and which Crown gave it to you
- For Thistles, please also specify the art form; for
Comets, specify the group; for Talons, specify the
martial activity

*****It is especially important that you provide the
name of the group where you received your award - that
information must be filled in on the scroll, but is
not recorded in the OP, so it's often very difficult
for me to figure out on my own.*****

You must provide sufficient proof that you
actually received the award. In most cases, this is an
OP entry. Other types of sufficient proof can include:
- A signed court report
- Written confirmation from the Crown who granted the
award
- Written confirmation from the landed baron or
baroness who presided over the court where the award
was granted

If you can't demonstrate that you actually received
the award that you claim to have, I can't provide a
scroll for you. However, other types of proof than
those listed here might be acceptable; please check
with me if you can provide an alternate form of proof.

Most requests can be filled within 4-6 weeks, but
please be aware that some may take longer.

Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, and
scroll requests:

Kimberly Langhans
3611 Chatwood Drive
Pearland, TX 77584