[Ansteorra-announce] Recent Combat Archery Ruling Clarification

Ansteorran Earl Marshal marshal at ansteorra.org
Tue Aug 19 10:24:11 PDT 2008

I've included below the text and reference materials that have the
specifics, but here's the short version.

The new rules from Society state UMHS and Siloflex rubber stopper missiles
may not have more than 1" of foam padding at the end.  Ansteorra's current
rules state you must have a minimum of 1" of foam padding at the end.  In
conjuction with my interim Missile Marshal, Ld. Jean Paul de Calmont, we
have decide to take Ansteorra down to Society minimums, and require only
1/2" of foam padding.  We'll be signing this into Law at King's Round Table
this weekend.  The new requirements also state that the padding must be
firmly attached, and not wambly.

I would hope that crossbowmen with very strong crossbows will be polite in
their construction.

Marshals will need to be more rigorous in their inspections.

Finally, as noted below by Ld. Jean Paul, there is a distinct possibility
that Meridies and/or Glenn Abhenn might push for 3/4" of padding on the
blunts, so it's recommend that when re-working your blunts aim for that
margin.

Sieur Jean Paul de Sens,
Earl Marshal

*
Effective immediately* by the Society Earl Marshal & the Deputy Society Earl
Marshal for Combat Archery, the following changes to equipment are required
due to repeated incidents of helm penetrations:

   - Combat Archery ammunition may have at most 1" thick padding on the tip
   after taping.

   - All UHMW & Siloflex/Rubber Stopper ammunition must have a side wrap of
   foam added that brings the total diameter of the blunt to at least 1.5"
   after taping. This wrap must extend from the tip to at least 1/2" over the
   UHMW or Siloflex itself.

   - All fletches on any arrows, bolts, or thrown weapons can project no
   further than 1/2" from the shaft, or must be 1.5" thick.

   - NOTE: All Marshals need to be rigorous in their inspections of all tips
   (arrows & thrusting) and mass weapons. Ensure that the foam is firm, will
   not bend over, returns to shape when compressed, and can not be easily
   pushed into a legal helm more than 1/2".

Siegfried Sebastian Faust
Society Combat Archery Marshal

This is posted in the News and Notes section here;
http://marshal.ansteorra.org/archery/

and it was also posted to the Kingdom archery lists by myself as KMM.
Siegried on a later email clarified that it was required no matter what size
of the blunt, if it is a UHMW cored blunt it requires a side wrap.  This was
to make the ruling as simple (single UHMW standard) as possible and to allow
current ammunition to be modified simply.  Now, another concern is that when
Gulf War was at 1/2" minimum padding several years ago, the collective Earl
Marshals from the participating Kingdoms demanded that we go to a higher
level of padding since they (crossbows) were hitting too hard.  All four
Kingdoms raised the minimum to 3/4" padding.  If this could be brought up
with those Kingdoms via your channel this would help go a long way in
reducing the possibility of future changes for our ammo again.

If you need anything else please let me know and I'll do whatever I need to
do.

JPdC