[Ansteorra-announce] New blades for Rapier

Ansteorra Kingdom Rapier Marshal rapier at marshal.ansteorra.org
Tue Mar 25 11:07:12 PDT 2008

Our new DSMR (Deputy Society Marshal for Rapier) has approved a variety
of new blades for experimentation in Rapier and Cut & Thrust. This is
exciting news for us since we have been on hold for years now concerning
the many new blades manufacturers are now making for us and the rest of
the WMA community. He has asked that we experiment with these blades and
give him feedback before Pensic.

So, I hereby approve following blades for experimental use in Ansteorra:
*
Epee & Foil
*

    * Hanwei main gauche dagger blade

*Rapier*

    * Windlass Flamberge
    * Darkwood Sapda
    * Darkwood curved blades from the #5 blank (7/8" wide) e.g. late saber
    * Hanwei hollow ground practical rapier
    * Hanwei main gauche dagger blade

*C&T*

    * MKA30 Wide
    * Darkwood Spada
    * Darkwood curved blades from the #5 blank (7/8" wide) e.g. late saber
    * Darkwood curved blades from the #6 blank (1" wide) e.g. katana,
      hussar saber, swiss saber, hanger
    * Darkwood curved blades from the #7 blank (1 1/4" wide) e.g.
      cutlass, dussage, grosse messer
    * Hanwei main gauche dagger blade
    * Hanwei three fullered practical longsword -- Note: This is a fine
      blade but it requires more skill to control than does the typical
      C&T blade. It is best used by those with training in longsword
      technique since it does not move like a rapier, sidesword or
      backsword.

*What does experimental mean?*
Experimental means that we can use the blades but they don't yet have
final approval from SCA inc. Based on the results of our
experimentation  the DSMR will make a final determination whether to
approve these blades for everyone to use.

The odds are these blades will be approved but you are taking a risk in
buying and using them as the DSMR could decide to ban the blade based on
our results. Based on everything we know we think they are safe and
reasonable for use but it is these experiments we use to make sure.

*How do we experiment?*
This is simple. Just contact me _before using the blade_ and tell me
what blade you wish to use. If I approve you then you may use that blade
in Ansteorran rapier or C&T as appropriate. I will add you to a list and
contact you for an update. Here are the conditions:

    * The tip of the blade must be marked with red and green. For
      example, you can use a red tip with green tape, a green tip with
      red tape, or any other color tip with red and green tape. This
      same color combination is used to mark experimental weapons for
      Ansteorran armored combat.
    * Only authorized fighters may use these blades, even for practice.
    * You can use the blade, you can allow your opponent to use the
      blade (if he is an authorized fighter), or you can marshal
      others(authorized fighters only) as they use the blade (assuming
      you are a marshal). The blade cannot be used when you are not
      there. If the blade is used in a way that presents a hazard, you
      are expected to put the blade away and stop it's use.
    * The person using the blade must inform his opponent of the
      experimental blade and that opponent must agree to face the blade,
      *even for practice*.  In melee each person must agree to face that
      weapon, which will make it impractical for large melees.
    * You must, _must_, _*must*_ report within 48 hours any incidents
      directly to me of excessive hits, injuries, blade failures or
      other issues that result from or during the use of this blade.
    * Following the conditions above, these blades _*can*_ be used in
      tournament.

So, mark the blade so we can tell it is experimental, be an authorized
fighter, tell your opponent(s) you are using an experimental blade, and
call or email me if something goes wrong.

Failure to follow these guidelines -- including reporting if necessary
-- will result in you being removed from the experiment at a minimum.

As for me, I will be putting in my order for a spada right away.

Christian Doré, Kingdom Rapier Marshal, Ansteorra