[Ansteorra-announce] Ansteorra's First Cut & Thrust Tournament

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Fri Jan 16 11:34:13 PST 2009

Their Excellencies Avery Shaw and Gwenneth of Glamorgan will host
Ansteorra's first Cut & Thrust tournament at their Candlemas event in Bryn
Gwlad on Saturday, February 7. The tournament will start at 1:00pm and end
around 3:00pm.

A tournament format will be chosen based on the number of fighters who
attend in order that the tournament may run about 2 hours. If there are only
a few fighters we may have a round robin tournament. If there are many
fighters the tournament may be a common double elimination. Whatever we
chose the format will be something familiar to most fighters.

We are honored to have Mistress AEthelyan Moondragon as our Clerk of the
Lysts. She has been a part of rapier since the first rapier rules were
drafted for the SCA and we are proud to have her assistance with this
first-of-it's-kind tournament in Ansteorra.

All fighters must be authorized Cut & Thrust fighters before the tournament
begins. This is a more complex and difficult authorization than regular
rapier fighting authorizations and we will not set aside time to do
authorizations before the tournament, so if you need to get authorized you
should make arrangements with authorizing C&T marshals before Candlemas.

All fighters must be acceptable to the Kingdom Cut & Thrust Marshal -- which
happens to be His Excellency Avery Shaw.

Here are some helpful links:

   - Rapier rules including C&T:
   http://marshal.ansteorra.org/handbook/Complete%20Participant%27s%20Handbook%20Aug%202008.pdf(See
section 3, rapier combat. C&T rules occur in many sections of the
   rapier rules, but you can find most of them by seaching for "Cut & Thrust"
   -- using the & symbol, not the word "and".)
   - Rulings/explanation of C&T blow calling:
   http://rapier.ansteorra.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=44(see
the section on Acknowledgement of Blows 2/3 down the page)
   - Kingdom C&T marshal (to find authorizing marshals in your area) -- look
   in the back of the Blackstar under Deputy Kingdom Officers -- Deputy
   Marshals.

If you have questions about this tournament, please contact me, Christian
Doré, at MIC-candlemas-CT at megaboxs.com <MIC-candlemas-CT at megaboxes.com>

Christian Doré, Marshal In Charge