[Ansteorra-announce] [Announcements] President's Report for the April 2009 Board Meeting

Patrick Anderson president at sca.org
Tue May 26 10:19:51 PDT 2009

PRESIDENT’S REPORT OF THE APRIL 2009 BOARD MEETING

Greetings:
This is the President's report of the actions taken at the SCA Inc.'s
most recent Board of Directors meeting, held April 18, 2009 in
Williamsburg, VA, in the Kingdom of Atlantia. This material may be
freely distributed, and those receiving it are strongly encouraged to
share this information with the general membership. Permission is hereby
granted to reprint all or part of this report in Kingdom, Principality,
and local newsletters. It is requested that the source of the
information be identified as "from the President's Report of the April,
2009 Board meeting" and that, as far as possible, exact quotes be used.
Please note that this report is NOT the official Minutes of the Board
meeting. In case of any discrepancy between this document and the
approved Minutes, the Minutes are binding. Any inaccuracies in reporting
contained herein are my own.
Subscriptions to the Board Minutes are available from the SCA Inc. A
subscription includes this report in addition to the Minutes approved at
the meeting. Past approved Minutes are also available on the SCA web
site (http://www.sca.org/).
The next Board of Directors meeting will be held on July 11 2009 via
conference call. The deadline for submission of agenda items is July 1,
2009. Please send hardcopies of any agenda items to Renee Signorotti at
the SCA, Inc. corporate office by that date

Respectfully submitted,
Patrick Anderson
President, SCA Inc.

BRANCH STATUS CHANGE

The Board took note of the creation of the Canton Des Forges in
Trussville, AL.

OLD BUSINESS

Corpora IV.A.2. Revision - Memberships for Royal Lists

The Board approved the following change in Corpora in order to protect
the membership from the ramifications that can occur when a reign is
invalidated due to an accidental lapse in membership by ruling nobility.

Current:

Section IVA 2

2.      Each competitor and projective consort must hold a valid
membership on the day to the Royal list, and must maintain that
membership until their term of Royalty is over. Positive conformation
that the Registry has processed the membership applications is required
before anyone may fight or be fought for in a Royal List. Positive
confirmation consists of a valid membership card, appearance of the name
with a valid membership on a printout from the Corporate Office, a
membership label issued by the Corporate Office showing the name and
expiration date, or a postcard or letter from the Corporate office
confirming that the membership has been received.

Approved by the Board:

 2.      Each competitor and prospective consort must hold a valid
 membership on the day of the Royal Lists.  Within ten business days
 after being declared victor in a Crown or Coronet Tourney, the Victor
 and Consort must present to the Kingdom Seneschal proof that their
 memberships are current through at least the end of the prospective
 reign.  Positive confirmation consists of; a valid membership card,
 appearance of the name with a valid membership on a printout from the
 Corporate Office, a membership label issued by the Corporate Office
 showing the name and expiration date, receipt of online membership (as
 downloaded from the renewal website), or a postcard or letter from the
 Corporate office confirming that the membership has been received.

NEW BUSINESS

	Society Webminister’s Handbook (March 2009)

The Society Webminister’s Handbook was approved, although implementation
of that handbook is at the pleasure of the new Society Webminister

	Aethelmearc War Practice Waiver Variance Request

A request to approve revised waivers for the Aethelmearc War Practice
was denied by the Board.

Society Chronicler’s Policies Manual (March 2009)

The new Society Chronicler’s Policies Manual was approved.

REPORTS

President - Patrick Anderson (Gabriel andvaka Kjotvason)

Requests for Board action

At this time I have been in this job nearly three years. My tenure as
President ends either at the January 2010 Board meeting or February 1,
2010 (I’m not quite sure which). At this time, its prudent to look for a
successor, with the goal of selecting my successor at the October, 2009
Board meeting, training that person for one quarter, and turning over
the office at the January, 2010 Board meeting.

Therefore, I request the Board approve the attached job description and
order me to request applicants for the job of President of the SCA,
Inc., with a closing date for applications of September 15, 2009.

By consensus, Chairman Simon approved the job description as provided
and directed President Anderson to prepare and post an announcement
requesting applications for the position.

Commendations

This is the last Board meeting of George Reed, the Society Seneschal. I
have a short list of people who have made my job easy and George tops
that list. He knows his job and he does it well. I have been truly
privileged to work with him these last years.

And it is the beginning of Kim Harvey’s tenure as Society Seneschal. I
have been working with Kim for the last several months as she
transitions into the job, and she has been doing a great job so far. I
have complete faith that she will be a huge asset to our Corporate and
Society team.

This is the last meeting of director Heather English. Heather has acted
as the quiet voice of reason on the Board.  I will miss her thoughts and
comments, and hope that she has fun in the West.

Publishable summary

The SCA, Inc. continues its mission of helping people enjoy the present
by recreating the past. It’s been a good quarter with two wars occurring
and much fun being had by all.

I appreciate people commenting to the Board on proposals the Board puts
forth. It helps the Board make educated decisions based on the desires
of the participants in the SCA when people comment.

The Risk Assessment of Wars project has gotten off to a good start, with
the Assessor attending both Estrella and Gulf Wars and setting the
ground work for the assessment to come.

While there has been some noise in some areas, generally, the quarter
has been quiet.

Publication Manager - Dori Andrepont (Doria Tecla)

Requests for Board action

1.      Approve the job description for the Editor of CA

By consensus, Chairman Simon approved the job description for the Editor
of the Compleat Anachronist as presented.

		2.	Open applications for the Editor of CA upon the Publication Editor's timeframe.

By consensus, Chairman Simon directed the Publications Manager to begin
the application process for the next Editor of the Compleat Anachronist.

Commendations

Many thanks go to Patrick Anderson for his help with the new office, and
especially to Renee Signorotti for her time and efforts in making the
unexpected transition to new printers for our publications.

Publishable summary

Bids for production of Tournaments Illuminated, Compleat Anachronist and
Known World Handbook have been solicited from a variety of printers,
with new printers and mailing houses having been selected for CA and TI.

Vice President of Operations (Society Seneschal) - George Reed (Aaron
faheud     Swiftrunner of the Stone Keep)

Requests for Board action

	1.	Please warrant Ms. Kimberly Harvey, known as Countess Kenna Harve as the Vice President of Operations and Society Seneschal of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

Motion by Heather English to appoint Kimberly Harvey, known as Countess
Kenna Harve as the Vice President of Operations and Society Seneschal of
the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. to the standard two (2) year
term and subject to the standard six (6) month probationary period.
Seconded by Eric Langhans.  In favor: Heather English, Erik Langhans,
Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd, Kim McAuley, Mitchell Steck. Opposed:  None.
Motion carried.

	2.	Please approve initiation of the application process for selection of the next Society Chatelaine.

By consensus, Chairman Simon directed President Anderson and
Society-Seneschal Elect to begin the application process for the next
Society Chatelaine.

Policy Interpretations

			1.	Referred by the SCA Marshal:  Q:  Can authorizations be performed at back-yard practices as opposed to official practices and/or events?  A:  In a word, no.  There is agency granted when we authorize a fighter, inferring to the world they are trained and safe and officially sanctioned to participate.  Agency of this nature must be granted under official auspices or we are inferring that we support any backyard practice anywhere with our insurance and rules and enforcement.  Pretty scary stuff.

Motion by Mitchell Steck to uphold the Society Seneschal's policy
interpretation that authorizations cannot be performed at back-yard
practices as opposes to official practice and/or events.
Seconded by Aaron Lloyd.  In favor: Heather English, Erik Langhans,
Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd, Kim McAuley, Mitchell Steck. Opposed:  None.
Motion carried.

		Commendations

1.      Renee Signorotti, Patricia LaChance, Theresa Anderson

The SCA Corporate Headquarters in Milpitas has been invaluable and
patient and these three ladies are on the watch-list for sainthood for
the myriad indignities minor and major they overcome in the course of
providing excellent service to our membership. Their cheery assistance
to me, my staff, and the kingdoms has been without equal. Renee stands
out especially, given the (approximately) 1.3498 million times she has
kept me from going under the bus.

2.      Heather English

Heather English concludes her tenure on the Board at the end of the
April 2009 meeting. Before that she spent several years as one of my
Kingdom Seneschals. Heather came into both jobs with much to learn and
grew into each quickly. She will long stand on my list of excellent
servants to the society—ever skilled at making it don’t. She also has
some brilliant taste in scotch.

3.      Leslie Luther- Fulton

Leslie has spent the past few years as the Executive Assistant to the
Board of Directors. We all love Saint Leslie for her good humor, deft
hand at a thankless task, the gentle way she can invite someone to stop
smoking the bad bird seed, and for her innate ability to make Duke John
Bear-Killer hide under the couch. Leslie has been a wonderful coworker,
a fine example to emulate, and a very dear friend.

4.      SCA Web-folk

These folks, led by Marla Lecin keep the lights on, the web-site
running, and field a thousand problems a year before anyone ever knows
something is amiss. We could never possibly count the volunteer
hours spent keeping our systems and data safe, our operations operating,
and tolerating the ever changing whims of the Imperium Seneschal. Thanks
guys!

5.      Dave Wiener, Scott Courtney, Jeffrey Alan Brown

As a technology executive in the modern world, I was quickly drafted to
assist with the Chief Technology officer’s area, forming a bridge
between our corporate needs and the many systems that support them. Dave
Wiener and his cast of volunteers did a phenomenal job making online
membership
happen. Scott Courtney brought us into a more robust and cost-effective
technology solution and Jeff Brown helped forge the role of the CTO into
a corporate office reporting to the President and over-seeing projects
as opposed to punching keys. These gentlemen all provided invaluable
service to the Society took us from paper forms to online waivers and
well-earned the Pelicans that grace their arms.

6.      Meg Baron, Linda Moore, Patrick Anderson

It is somewhat frightening to think that I served with three different
Presidents of the SCA. Meg Baron was a storehouse of ‘how we do that”
and “WE Do NOT do THAT!” and “Gods above tell me you did not hit SEND on
that!” Meg worked at the Corporate level for just under six years as
Director, Chairman, President, and Executive Assistant. I still miss her
humor at meetings and hear the click of nails on the keyboard express.

Linda Moore was a phenomenal Kingdom officer, the perfect image—well to
me—of a Director, a vibrant and caring Chair of the Board, and a very
fair, detail-oriented President. When she left the corporate level to be
queen of Northshield, I remember thinking how very much I’d miss her and
how very lucky Northshield was.

Patrick Anderson is a perfect example of what happens when you forget
how to spell “NO!” He served well as chair of the SCA Legal Committee
and did not flee for the border when a sudden vacancy appeared at the
top box. Patrick has guided us through many and sundry tangled issues
and displayed remarkable dignity whenever someone hisses out the word,
“Potttteeerrrrrrrrrrr!”

7.       Jason Williams, Hal Simon

Jason Williams is one of the finest examples of fair and measured work
as a chairman that I have ever seen. He looked at every possible side of
a story—even when the answer seemed obvious at the outset. As a result,
many decisions were made effectively when a more-hasty action would have
led to disaster. He is off racing cars now, but the SCA is a brighter
place for his laps around our track.

Hal has served on the board twice and his persistent calming influence
and experience with historical organizations is a tremendous asset to
the Society. I was lucky to get to work with him twice during my tenure.

8.      Gabrielle Underwood, Fernando Vigil, Shawn Reed, Liz Schraer,
Dena Cady

These directors were a delight to work with and each in their own way
greatly impacted the quality of service I have been able to provide.

Gabrielle Underwood is a proud force of nature who is positively miffed
when we cleverly spot how much she cares about people. Her fire,
enthusiasm, and skill at keeping a meeting on point were simply
priceless.

Fernando (FERD) Vigil was a rock upon which the waves of wrong had no
chance. He can see through any subterfuge, find humor after a fifteen
hour work session, and hand a can of quiet to a screaming duke with
confidence and a smile.

Shawn Reed can see every side of the story and will examine all possible
good motives before assuming mal-intent. This detailed due diligence
kept sanctions activity on the path of fairness for her entire tenure.
She has a cool last name too.

Liz Schraer could spot a typo on page 476 of a document without opening
the binder. Her attention to detail is simply amazing to behold.

Dena Cady. The delightful Dena has the compassion of a nurse and the
no-nonsense nature of the emergency room. She could cut an issue to the
bone and take direct action when the situation called for it. She has
been off the Board for years now, but I still remember when she saved my
life with a liberal supply of advil and a warm smile.

9.      Susan Earley, Mazelle Attiya

Without a stalwart Society Exchequer, where would we go to finance the
SCA? Petty Cash of course! In seriousness, both Susan and Mazelle came
into the post with directives to address specific problems and
initiatives and succeeded masterfully. They are fine co-workers and
priceless friends. One thing though—the shortest path between two points
at Estrella is *not* found by following Susan Earley…

10.     Kelly A. Stowe, Tim Jennings

What can one say about the Ivy Duchess of Arts and the King of Bling?

Kelly went on from the chaos of two full terms as a society officer to
the quiet, reserved retirement due to anyone who becomes Khan of the
Horde for life.. O Wait.

Tim Jennings is a masterful entertaining, director of theatres in modern
life, and a great encourager of the arts and sciences. His skills,
collaborative sense of compromise, and dedication to service have made
him an icon of excellence in the SCA. I particularly enjoyed our April
Fool’s report competitions.

11.     Elise Fleming

Elise has been the Society Chatelaine for most of my tenure. She did a
phenomenal job teaching, coaching, mentoring, inspiring, and giving SUCH
a pinch when matters call for it. I am ever inspired by her enthusiasm
and warm heart.

12.     Tamara Griggs, Stephanie Drummonds

In the beginning there was the SCA and nobody knew who we were and this
was good. So very, very good.  But then came the media on a slow
news-day and they discovered the games in the parks and cooked up great
schemes to show the games on Wife-Swap and Queer Eye and it was bad so
very, very bad…  But then I hired Tamara Griggs to establish a Media
Officer post and organization, and there was policy and protection, and
proliferation of positive press…and this was good…so very, very good.

But then Tamara needed a rest and the infidels of wife-swap were upon us
and the masses wailed and it was bad so very, very bad.  Forth—ok
Second—came Stephanie Drummonds, and there were smiles, and calm, and
velvety anvils, and manners, and policy, and perfectly positive pictures
of presentable press and it was very, very good. So good I shall stop
this section now.

13.     Kevin Griggs

Fighting and eating and dancing, and finances can be a risky business. I
asked Kevin Griggs to step away from his regular position as Large Duke
of Intimidation (+3) and develop some risk assessment strategies. He did
so and evaluated many circumstances for their risk to our membership and
the organization itself. There are at least a dozen utter disasters no
one ever heard about because he analyzed them for me and I was able to
open of a large box of “Not Happening!” and make them vanish.

14.     Tobalina Beck, Deborah Brown, Cathyn McKenna, Marilee Lloyd,
Charles Cohen, Wendel Bordelon, John Fulton, AJ Riviezzo, Erik Langhans

My fearless band of intrepid investigations deputies. These folks gave
up tons of free time, travelled around the continent, interviewed
stressed-out, angry, scary people, and rendered sound recommendation as
to what my office or the Board should do about problems. There is **no**
way
I could have accomplished the Sanctions Management part of my job
without these fine folks and I commend them highly for taking trips
under the bus on my behalf. Sorry about the tire-marks guys…

15.     Joseph Radding, Sandi Doner, Cara Zitny, Jennifer Gaspar

In every long-term SCA experience there are examples of dedication, hard
work, selflessness, and amazing calm in the face of the impossible and
daunting. These folks are who I think of whenever this sort of person is
discussed.

Joe Radding is perhaps the finest mediator I have ever seen. His
greatest triumph was a mediation that did not entirely work, but it
showed that one really can afford every possible chance for conflict to
be
resolved with pinache.

Sandi Doner, known in the society as Saint Katherine Barr was seneschal
of the East Kingdom and taught me immeasurable things about grace under
fire.

Cara Zitny twice organized large symposiums on my behalf, with minimal
financial burden to the SCA and great positive change to the
organization. I cannot express how much the SCA owes this fine Baroness
from Caid. I can only say thank you.

Jennifer Gaspar. Some people evoke great changes and some people evoke
little ones which add up without anyone noticing. Jennifer performed a
small task for my office some years ago. This small task
allowed us to begin the process of streamlining Corpora, Seneschal
Policy, Kingdom laws, and cut down to the rules required. She is also
the only soul I have encountered who can be Kingdom Seneschal, Royal
Chamberlain, and Royal Liaison at Pennsic and still have a smile at the
end of the
week. It could have been the stout, but I like to think it is about
class and the fabled fists of fury.

16.     Kathryn Kibellus, Karen Johnson, Courtney Powers, Brandy Powers,
Dana Cushing, Scott Herzog

While I have had nearly a dozen SCA dependents promoted in the 15 years
since I became a peer, these fine folks have given up Laurel/Pelican
time, pitched in on projects, kept their silence when they heard
confidential information, and brought me a tasty adult beverage when
venting was just not going to cut it.

17.     Baroness Aurelia Rufinia.

I had the pleasure of twice working with Her radiance as the
Best.Pennsic.Secretary.Ever ™   Those two Pennsics were so much easier
than the others, despite 18 hour days and chaos at 3 am.  Rufinia is a
true force of nature and “A Roman by God!” She is an effective bouncer,
a skilled scheduler, a tactful courier, and if I ever told people how
much she really cares about the SCA and the people in it she’d
probably…o…dear..

18.     George L. Reed III, James William Reed

My boys gave up a lot of Dad time when I scurried around the globe on
SCA business. I have to think that theirs was a far-greater sacrifice
than mine. Their smiles and hugs when I got back have frankly been one
of the things that keep the Swiftrunner swift for what has become a term
two days longer than Hilary of Serendip.

Publishable Summary

A Farewell Letter to the Officers and Membership of the Society for
Creative Anachronism

''To the Corporate Office, Officers, Directors, Royal Families,
Membership, and visitors to the Society for Creative Anachronism I send
these last greetings as your Vice President of Operations and Society
Seneschal.

First and foremost I would like to thank the tens of thousands of
participants for six years of challenges, learning-experiences, and
opportunities to serve and to observe excellence on a grand scale. Few
of us have had the pleasure of even a single term in this space, and to
be blessed with two is a gift beyond measure.

For every challenge and tragedy, I have seen a hundred shining examples
of why we all came together to begin with. For every loss there are a
thousand victories, Your voices have all sung loud in the hall, have
been heard even when I did not want to hear, and have helped change the
face of our organization. I applaud everyone who provides comment and
who provide constructive feedback when they feel so moved.

No seven Directors or seven officers can steer so large a ship through
rough waters without a strong crew and many hands on deck. Thanks for
lending a hand and a voice, Whether it is ten thousand members donating
over a half million dollars in time, money and goods to victims of
hurricanes, amazing rescues of horses from California Wildfires by
equestrian groups, the donation of thousands of toys to children living
in poverty, and volunteers with FEMA and the Red Cross, I cannot fail to
be overwhelmed and impressed with the boundless kindness and generosity
of the SCA, Please never lose that sense of community and
responsibility.

As a performer on many stages I am well aware that every show runs its
course, every tale becomes a bit stale, and every song becomes old at
some point-no matter how catchy the tune.  I thank you for your kind
attention to my personal act-well-supported by 91 Kingdom and
Principality Seneschals and special deputies during my tenure. I thank
you for your time and assistance, for the opportunity to serve, and I
thank my sons for sacrificing ''Dad" timeout which is now restored.

With the passing of time, comes the need for change and you will have
positive change with my successor Kimberly Harvey, Countess Kenna Harve.
You may look far and seek long and not find another soul more dedicated
to this organization. I know that our ship will continue through the
strain in good order, and under hands more- skilled than mine.  My final
request of the Kingdoms and the people for whom I have long served is
that you take some time to look around you and applaud someone who is
doing a good job.

It will not be a burden or take long as excellence surrounds us all.

Warm winds
Aaron''

Vice President of Corporate Operations - Renee Signorotti

Commendations

It’s time to sadly say good-bye to George Reed and Heather English.
I’ve worked with both of these people for many years, and it’s always
been a pleasure.

George, you’ve brought an enormous amount of joy to my job & I’ve always
appreciated your efforts helping to make things run smoothly for the
Corporate Office staff.  Enjoy snuggling for endless hours with Jamey.
FIJI OR BUST!

Heather, you’ve been an excellent Director and before that a Kingdom
Seneschal.  Enjoy a nap, hours of needlework, and then call me!

Dori Andrepont, TI Editor & Publications’ Manager, has done a
spectacular job handling a huge crisis for the SCA.  The printing and
mailing house that we’ve done business with for over thirty years
suddenly closed their doors, due to the economy.  Dori stepped right in
to help in locating new printers and mailing houses without batting an
eye.  This led to a smooth transition without a single delay in mailing,
and the usual quality in publication that our members’ enjoy.

Publishable Summary

Membership renewals are returning to a normal pace, after a significant
slowdown.  Online waiver processing has proven to be a huge success,
with significant cost savings becoming apparent.  The Corporate Staff
fully expects the next few months to be busy.

Tournaments Illuminated - Dori Andrepont (Doria Tecla)

Commendations

The regular staff to commend for their assistance on issue 170 is R.G.L.
MacGregor, Dan Berger, Ellen Rawson, Meg Baron, Evan White, and Karen
Harris.  For their help with e-mail and website updates, thanks are
given to Dave Weiner and Marla Lecin.  Appreciation is also given to
Patrick Anderson and the legal committee for their efforts in updating
the TI Advertising Rate Card and checking on reproduction copyright
concerns.  Finally, for her help with the printer transition and her
advice and quick response to keep TI on track, thanks are given to Renee
Signorotti.

Publishable summary

Tournaments Illuminated is now in production of issue 171, third
quarter, 2009, with a special focus on the 500th anniversary of the
coronation of Henry VIII.  Our recent “call for photographers” has
generated seven new photographers who would like to contribute to TI.

Compleat Anachronist - Rae L. Hadley (Towen ferch Grufudd Aur)

Requests for Board Action

My tenure as editor of The Compleat Anachronist ends in ten months.  I
would like to ask that the BoD begin the process of finding my
successor, so I have time to train the incoming editor before I step
down in January.

By consensus, Chairman Simon ordered that the Editor for Compleat
Anachronist consult with the Publications manager to begin the process
of finding a successor.

Our current subscription to PleaseReview, the online system that is used
to review CA manuscripts, is going to be expiring in May.  I would like
to request that our subscription be renewed.  This tool is invaluable
for our review process and makes it both easier and faster for reviewers
to provide feedback to authors.  I am forwarding the notice of renewing
the subscription to the Publication.

By consensus, Chairman Simon ordered that the subscription to
PleaseReview be renewed.

Commendations

I would like to acknowledge the outstanding work of John Frasier, author
of CA #140, Elspeth Payne, author of CA #141, Kerri Morin, author of CA
# 144.  Brian Engler, author of the Slings manuscript (CA issue number
pending) and Helen Westerlund-Davis, author of A Cookbook for Moderne
Humours (CA issue number pending).  These people have worked hard and
faithfully to complete their manuscripts and I am glad to have the
privilege to work with each of them.

I also want to commend the tireless efforts of Joyce Morris, who has
agreed to be my “drop dead” deputy under very stressful circumstances.
I can not thank my editorial staff enough for how well they have taken
up additional responsibilities while I am dealing with health issues.
Elaine Koogler in particular has willingly and enthusiastically taken
the initiative to provide additional support, recruit reviewers and lead
the reviews on two manuscripts this quarter.

Publishable summary

Upcoming issues for April-June 2009:

CA#142:  St. John’s Day, by Kerri Morin.  This issue looks at the St.
John’s Day
Celebrations in Renaissance Florence.  First Quarter 2009 Issue

CA#143:  Skyr and Mysa:  Viking Curds and Whey, by Mary Reitz.  This
issue discussed the history of and Skyr, which is a soft, yogurt-like
cheese, and Mysa – the whey that is produced when making Skyr. Second
Quarter 2009 Issue.

Treasurer - Mazelle Attiya (Alysia Gabrielle de Fougeres)

Publishable summary

Considering the economy, the SCA is remaining fairly stable and is able
to meet its expenses.

Society Exchequer - Mazelle Attiya (Alysia Gabrielle de Fougeres)

Requests for Board Action

			1.	The Board approved various changes to the Atenveldt Kingdom Financial Policy. the Estrella War Financial Policy, the Society Financial Policy, and the Atlantia Kingdom Financial Policy:

			2.	Please approve the appointment of Pat Fitch (Ailesh nic Rose ni Malone) as Society Chancellor of the Exchequer-Elect.

Motion by Heather English to approve the appointment of Pat Fitch
(Ailesh nic Rose ni Malone) as Society Chancellor of the
Exchequer-Elect, effective immediately.  Seconded by Mitch Steck.  In
favor: Heather English, Erik Langhans, Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd, Kim
McAuley, Mitchell Steck. Opposed: None. Motion carried.

Commendations

It doesn’t seem like it’s only been 2 ½ years since I first step up as
Society Exchequer. I would like to thank the Board of Directors for
giving me the opportunity to hold this office. Of course I’m not going
very far. You’re still stuck with me for another couple of years as the
Corporate Treasurer. (BWHAHAHAHA)

All kidding aside, I cannot express enough thanks to the dedicated
people that have taken the time to be an exchequer, whether at the local
level or kingdom. While it seems that it is a thankless job at times, it
is a very necessary job to keep the SCA going. Please keep up the good
work.

Publishable summary

Fourth quarter stipends have been released to the kingdom chroniclers
except Ealdormere and Trimaris. I am waiting on confirmation form the
kingdom exchequers that they have received the 4th quarter financial
reports from the chronicler. 8 kingdoms have submitted their
Consolidated Domesday reports. These are consolidated by the Society
Exchequer and then sent to the SCA’s Tax Accountant.

Society Chronicler -Tim White (Otto von Schwyz)

Commendations

The Society Chronicler commends the outgoing Chronicler of Atenveldt,
Lady Desiderata (Katie Harris).

Publishable summary:

The Society Chronicler reports that all Kingdom newsletters are running
smoothly.

Laurel Sovereign of Arms - Amy Kennedy-Butler (Olwynn ni Chinneidigh)

Commendations

As usual, I would like to thank my staff, without Aryanhwy Pelican,
Istvan Wreath, Shauna Ragged Staff, and Hervaus Morsulus, I couldn’t do
this job. They make things so much easier for me, and keep me reminded
of things I would otherwise forget.

Publishable summary

We are currently running two months following the meeting for
publication of the Letter of Acceptances and Returns. Although we would
like to get them out sooner, it is a process that takes time to
establish and the proofreaders got pretty tired when we were putting out
two letters a month.
We are currently accepting bids for Known World Heralds and Scribes in
2010, and I am looking forward to seeing what wonders will be offered to
us this time. I have heard rumor of some pretty interesting things in
the works.
A large amount of old papers have recently come to light from the early
days of the Society. Some of these are quite delicate and so are being
scanned to preserve them. Among them are meeting notes and early Letters
of Acceptance and Returns. We are working on getting all of the old
Letters up on the website.

Minister of Arts and Sciences B Tim Jennings (Garraed Galbraith)

Commendations

Thank you to Mistress Laurellen de Brandevin for doing a great job in An
Tir these last couple of years.

Publishable summary

Those that reported did a great job and its been a stellar year in
general for A&S.  It is disturbing to see so many officers not reporting
again.  I assume that the time of year or economy somehow affected this.
We will correct this for April 1 reporting.

Society Chirurgeon - Marcia Schlemm (Katrei Grunenberg)

Commendations

I would like to commend the three kingdom Chirurgeons who retired from
office this quarter.  Each brought a different perspective to
discussions and was exemplary in the performance of the office of
kingdom Chirurgeon.  Minna Virtanen (Myfanwy Methig) in Drachenwald,
steady and calm; Erica Palmer (Elizabeth Reed) in the East, composed
when presented with conflict; and John Kowal (Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev)
in Northshield, structured and steady.  It was a pleasure to work with
them and I wish them a peaceful “retirement”.

Publishable summary

Things were quiet for the first quarter of 2009 in the chirurgeonate.
There is slow growth in numbers.  Estrella had good weather and with the
good weather, fewer reported injuries.  There are a number of changes in
staffing at the kingdom level in process.  I am looking forward to new
ideas.

Chief Technology Officer – Robert G. Ferrell (Cynric of Bedwyn)

Commendations

Dave Weiner has been of tremendous assistance to me in this transitional
period and I would like to thank him formally for his hard work and
diligence.

Publishable summary

I am observing creative and constructive use of technology throughout
the Society for communications, idea sharing, teaching, community
outreach, and problem-solving.  In the coming months I will be visiting
as many SCA-related Internet sites and services as practical in order to
compile a database of available resources/services, as well as
generating a set of best practices for implementation.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

The Executive Session opened on Friday, April 17 at 9:20 a.m.  EST and
recessed at 12:00 p.m. EST.

Motion by Heather English to approve the agenda for the Executive
Session as presented and to take agenda items out of order as necessary.
 Seconded by Aaron Lloyd.  In favor: Heather English, Eric Langhans,
Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd, Kim McAuley, Mitchell Steck. Opposed: None.
Motion carried.

A.      Atlantian Peerage Petition Regarding Greg Prevost (Janos)

Motion by Aaron Lloyd to revoke and deny the membership of Greg Prevost
(Janos) effective immediately.  Second by Marilee Lloyd.  In favor:
Heather English, Erik Langhans, Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd, Kim McAuley,
Mitchell Steck. Chairman Simon exercised his option to vote and did so
in favor of the Motion.  Opposed:  None. Motion carried

B.      Michael Ryan (Declan the Red) Absolute Banishment

Motion by Heather English to uphold the absolute banishment of Michael
Ryan (Declan the Red) by Seth and Gwendolyn, King and Queen of Meridies
on January 31, 2009 and to direct the Society Seneschal to begin an
investigation into the possible revocation and Denial of membership.
Seconded by Eric Langhans.  In favor: Heather English, Erik Langhans,
Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd, Kim McAuley, Mitchell Steck. Chairman Simon
exercised his option to vote and did so in favor of the Motion.
Opposed:  None. Motion carried.

	D.	Resignation of Society Webminister

Motion by Aaron Lloyd to accept the resignation of Kevon Houghton
(Thomas Edward Dudley) as Society Webminister, effective immediately.
Second by Marilee Lloyd.  In favor: Heather English, Erik Langhans,
Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd, Kim McAuley, Mitchell Steck.  Opposed:
None. Motion carried

Motion by Eric Langhans to appoint Jason Lantrip (Kieran Blake) to the
position of Interim Society Webminister until a replacement can be
selected, effective immediately.  Seconded by Heather English.
In favor: Heather English, Erik Langhans, Aaron Lloyd, Marilee Lloyd,
Kim McAuley, Mitchell Steck. Opposed:  None. Motion carried

The Board wishes to thank Mr. Houghton for his good judgment and service
to the Society.

E.      Ombudsman Assignments

Chairman Hal Simon ordered the following Ombudsman assignments effective
as of the end of the April 18, 2009 quarterly Board meeting.

	Hal Simon	President, Society Seneschal, Corporate Office, Legal Committee, 	Executive Assistant
	Erik Langhans 	Æthelmearc, East, Middle, Publications, Atlantia
	Marilee Lloyd 	Northshield, West, Grand Council, Ealdormere
	Aaron Lloyd 	Caid, Lochac, Heralds, Information Technology, Marshal
	Kim McAuley 	Financial Officers, Chirurgeon, An Tir, Calontir, Outlands
	Tom Noble 	Atenveldt Artemisia, Arts and Sciences
	Mitchell Steck 	Ansteorra, Meridies, Trimaris, Board Recruiting, Gleann Abhann, 		Drachenwald

--
Patrick Anderson
President
president at sca.org
952-412-4112

Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
SCA Inc.
Box 360789
Milpitas,  CA 95036

You may also email comments at lists.sca.org.

This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for Creative Anachronism , Inc.  Permission is granted to reproduce this announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing lists.