[Ansteorra-announce] Pt. 1 Some information on Steppes 12th Night

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 7 09:12:08 PST 2010

Wesað ge hal, Ulsted cyning, Eoforgeard cwen, and þæt folc Ansteorralandes!

Wihtric hlafard Wihtmunding does greet everyone and hopes that the chill in the
air turns ones mind to the Yuletide and a yearning for merriment with friends.

  If so then we hope you will turn your minds, hearts, and feet the direction of
Steppes for our Twelfth Night.  This year is an an Anglo-Saxon theme and with
that I wanted to answer a question or two I have received privately and address
one or two other things.

Though this is an Anglo-Saxon theme, it is not so in a microcasm, as in just on
single moment in Anglo-Saxon times or a solely of that ethnicity and culture.
Instead it is set up as a hall representing the scope and variety of the period
from roughly 450 or the Adventus Saxonum to 1066 and even a bit just thereafter.
Within these bookends we have British post-Romanism, the Heptarchy of England,
the Danelaw, the various Anglo-Danish dynasties, and of course (regrettably)
even Normans.  It was a time where many influences were coming together to make
what would become England.  In the earlier period Late Roman and Merovingian
styles and culture were, at various times, in vogue in addition to more native
looks as well as even some inluence in Anglia from Vendel Sweden.  In the Middle
Period we of course have significant influence from the Danes but also again
Frankish/Carolingian exports of culture and court habits.  Of course towards the
end, even a good bit before 1066, the Normans were already influencing practices
as well.

  In short though, we want you to come in fellowship with us and that is more
important.  If Middle Eastern is your thing or Elizabethan, then come as you
are.  We are anarchronistic as it is.  Might as well embrace it.  Sure we would
ask that people try even for a simple T-tunic, but it is the people who make
these events rock.  For the Middle Eastern sort, it should actually be noted
that there was at elast some contact between the Middle East and England from
almost the get at least in some trade sense.  An eastern unit of the late Roman
period was made up of Angle men and Byzantines certainly had diplomatic contact
thorugh most of the period.

Gódspéde!

Wihtric