[Ansteorra-announce] Defenders of the Rose - Populace Lunch and Reading of the Banns

Wyllow wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Thu Apr 21 07:48:00 PDT 2011

The reading of the Banns of Marriage between Don Maelgwynn Dda of the Barony of Bryn Gwlad and H.L. Willoc mac Muiredaig of the Barony of Loch Soilleir will be done at the Defenders of the Rose.

The tradition of reading Banns is to announce an impending marriage to the parishes of both parties.   Our actual wedding ceremony will be small and mundane, so this is our opportunity to share our joy with you, our friends in the SCA.

Our mundane parishes follow a strict tradition of "we meet, we eat."   Therefore, as the Banns are read, we will invite the populace to join us for a luncheon in the Late Roman style, prepared by Lord Alfred Huddlestone, apprenticed to Mistress Clarissa de la Firenze.  The planned menu is as follows:
- Mini bread loaves with Savory Toasted Cheese
- Roast Brisket, marinated and shish-kabobed
- Sauted Mushrooms and Onions
- Pickled and marinated Vegetables
- Mixed Fruit salad
- A Dessert of Dates

Be assured that, while we both take the religious significance seriously, the banns are not required nor restricted by our mundane church, and we are more interested in the historical affect on the community - that is, the announcement & approval by our local "baronial parishes" of this marriage.  NO long ceremony is planned - just an announcement & food.

In Service to the Dream,
H.L. Willoc mac Muiredaig