[Ansteorra-announce] Bryn Gwlad Fall Championship fighting formats

Baron Phelim Gervase bb.bryngwlad at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 19:35:33 PDT 2011

Greetings,

  We are reaching out to the fighters of the kingdom due to confusion caused
by a courier mishandling his parcels and delivering the wrong letter to the
Steward of our event. The missive Sir Dietrich received and published was
regarding upcoming war maneuvers and not our championship. While we will be
clarifying the various formats for the Armored and Rapier tournaments at the
event, we wanted to get the word out beforehand so people come prepared and
are less surprised when they arrive at Castleton.

  For the Armored field, we shall have:

.         For those arriving on Friday evening (~9pm), there will be a
barrier battle fought in a counted blows format. The duration will depend on
the number of fighters in attendance and the enjoyment of those present.

.         Saturday morning will begin with a "King of the Hill" bear pit
tournament. This should give all who enter an outstanding workout and
challenge as you try to take advantage of the terrain up and down the
hillside near the fort.

.         Saturday afternoon will see a bridge battle with a twist. As each
of the fighters take the bridge, they will need to determine if they are
taking one of their stronger fighting styles or a weaker one. This choice
and the outcome of the fight will determine how many points they receive for
that bout.

.         Should their still be time and the fighters be willing and able,
we will have a "George and the Dragon" tournament that will be explained
should it happen.

  For the Rapier field, we shall have:

.         Saturday morning will start with a standard elimination
tournament. The number of entrants will determine the exact format to fit
within the duration.

.         Saturday afternoon will see town battles taking place within
Castleton. Small units selected at random with points given to each of the
winning team members. At the end of the fighting in addition to the person
with the most points being selected to enter into Sunday's championship,
there will also be one chosen by acclaim for the feats they achieved that
day.

.         To end the day, after the Henry V play we will see an armored as
worn Cut & Thrust demonstration. This is meant to entertain the crowd and
once the fighting is complete, the crowd shall select the popular choice via
their voices.

  Then on Sunday we will be having our premier championship tournaments. For
those who won or were selected during the tournaments earlier in the
weekend, they can enter the tournament or name someone they wish to showcase
in their stead. In addition we will then grant a small number of individuals
to name combatants to enter either of the tournaments. At that point we will
allow the highest ranking person present to name someone to enter one or
other of the tournaments until both lists are both complete. Once the field
is complete we will decide our champions via a single bout single
elimination tournament.

  We look forward to seeing the displays of chivalry, honor and gallantry
throughout the weekend.

  We want to thank Sir Ysfael and Don Ceallach for setting up a format that
is diverse and should entertain those in attendance and challenge the
fighters in their diversity.

In Service,

Phelim & Myfanwy

Baron & Baroness of Bryn Gwlad