[Ansteorra-announce] Clarifications about Re-opening of the Kingdom

Kingdom Seneschal seneschal at ansteorra.org
Thu Sep 17 11:47:42 PDT 2020

Greetings Ansteorra,
A bit of a clarification is apparently needed. A few months back when we
were first discussing the Re-opening plan that Master Pug was in the
process of creating, I made a statement saying that Groups would be able to
be more restrictive than the plan called for if they chose to do so. This
statement was not clear and has led to some confusion. My apologies for the
vagueness of that proclamation.
First off, everything below is said with the idea that all groups will
follow what mundane authorities have said is required and will follow at
least to the levels laid out by the Kingdom and Corporate SCA requirements.
I discussed this with the Society Seneschal and she agrees the following is
the official policy.
So...to clarify...yes, local groups can be more restrictive than the
minimums stated...but how that works was not made clear. Again, my bad.
Hopefully this will help.
The local seneschals have the right to cancel activities. But this is a
limited power. They have a big hammer...they have the power to shut
everything down completely for their group. They also, as they have always
had, have the ability to shut individual activities down on a case by case
basis ("Fighter practice is cancelled tonight because there are massive
storms" as an example). However, unless a local seneschal wants to shut
everything down period, or will go through each individual activity as they
happen...that is it. Seneschals cannot say "fighter practice is cancelled,
but A&S is fine", as an example. If it is not all of it or individual
instances, then the power to say "go or no go" falls to the officers in
charge of the appropriate activity. So if the Seneschal is not saying
everything is closed, then local marshals or A&S or Heralds or whoever is
the officer for that activity are the ones making the calls for their
specific activities.
The original idea was that Officers would work together to come to a
reasonable path forward for each group as was needed. I would highly
encourage that everyone do this....from what I have seen and heard, this is
pretty much what is already happening. Thank you.
Note....if a local seneschal chooses to shut things down individually on a
repeated basis, I will probably ask for an explanation. Please do not use
this ability as a side-step to actually working with your other officers.
Now, as was laid out when we started trying to work out the re-opening
process, people can appeal these decisions up the appropriate chains....to
the Regionals for the appropriate office then to the Kingdom officer. I
would be the last stage of appeal before it would then go to Society.
Obviously, the Crown would also have a say in this, but the appeals process
should be followed in proper order first. Both myself and the Crown would
prefer if folks worked things out among themselves, but we also understand
that sometimes outside arbitration is useful.
I hope this clarifies things. If folks have questions, please ask.
Also...a reminder. The updates that Master Pug is putting out about what
level each group is at as far as being able to have practices and such
comes out every Friday. And it changes EVERY WEEK. If you were green last
week, this does NOT mean you are automatically green this week. We had a
group almost have a practice because they had been green before....but had
a spike and were all the way back to red. It was caught before anything
happened, but please keep an eye on the updates and act accordingly.
Thank you to everyone for working together in these very trying times.
Ansteorra is an amazing place, and that is because of all of the people who
make it so.
In service to the Kingdom, always,
Avery Shaw
Kingdom Seneschal