[Ansteorra-announce] Regarding AoA Awards

Golden Staff golden-staff at herald.ansteorra.org
Mon Feb 13 20:22:49 PST 2023

Greetings from Sir Absolon of Hereford, Golden Staff to Their Majesties Gabriel III and Sonja III.

Words from Their Majesties:

Sometimes there can be a blurry line between conventions, traditions and laws, especially when it is about insignia. We would like to take this opportunity to communicate our perspective relating to circlets. Circlets are NOT award of arms (AoA) insignia. In fact, ANYONE may wear a circlet. Awards and/or rank levels are not factors in deciding if someone has the “right” to wear a circlet. EVERYONE has the “right” to wear a circlet. However, We understand why there is often confusion regarding circlet wearing. For years, Crown has generously presented tokens of circlets to individuals who are brought before the Crown for an Award of Arms. This became an Ansteorran tradition. Over time, some started to think of the circlet as an AoA insignia because they only ever saw it given out as a token when someone received their AoA. It’s a good thing to know you can wear something. It’s not a good thing to think you are not allowed to wear something you have every right to wear. As a result, there have been newcomers and non-AoA holders who have been told (and not always in a polite way) they can’t wear a circlet because they don’t have an AoA. This is NOT accurate. ANYONE may wear a circlet.

Just like we did during our second reign, We wanted to create some distance between a person receiving an AoA and them receiving a circlet token, to reduce the perception that a person needs an AoA to have the right to wear a circlet. The intent is not to deprive anyone of a circlet token, just not have the circlet tied specifically to the moment someone receives an AoA. If a person would like a circlet token, We will happily provide one to them, just not at the same time We bestow an AoA.

Always in service to Ansteorra,
Gabriel & Sonja
Rex er Regina
Ansteorra