[Ansteorra-announce] Proposed changes to Royal titles

King of Ansteorra king at crown.ansteorra.org
Fri Jun 30 16:12:28 PDT 2023

Ansteorra,

As the end of Pride month approaches, We, Gabriel and Sonja, propose a
change to the kingdom and request commentary. We intend to rename
references to King, Queen, Crown Prince, and Crown Princess with Sovereign,
Consort, Heir Apparent, and Heir Consort, respectively.

Applying these archetypal titles will allow for greater variety of persona
and identity for any who would hold these offices. For example, it is a
matter of time until this kingdom has a same sex pair as Crown. Likewise,
there could easily be a consort whose identity is not properly described by
"Queen." The traditional title usage will still be possible; We will still
be King and Queen, for those titles match our identities. With this change,
We would be announced in procession as Sovereign and Consort as titles, but
saluted as Rex and Regina for those are (currently) Our names.

There are numerous places where this change will take effect. Email
addresses and court protocol are the most immediate, and there are one or
two specific references in kingdom law. The true changes will be on awards
and heraldry, with award text updated and awards renamed. Our existing
supply of completed scrolls will be used and new ones with updated texts
gradually phased in.

Yes, this would involve renaming a number of awards and honors. We have
King's Champion, Queen's Champion, King's Archer, the Princess Blade, to
name just a few. These are all names with substantial meaning and history,
but We feel that this is still the correct action for this kingdom to take.
We have consulted with the Star Principal Herald, who assures Us that the
Ansteorra College of Heralds is up to the task.

We do not mandate this change for Vindheim, nor for the Landed Nobles of
this kingdom. For one thing, We do not immediately find archetypal titles
for these positions that are historically accurate. A full migration in
title usage for all Royal and Noble positions could well take place in the
future.

We invite commentary on this proposal, both for and against. Please address
any feedback to: trm at crown.ansteorra.org

--
Gabriel & Sonja
Rex et Regina