archery

Galen Bevel sir.galen.k at dobharchu.org
Sat Apr 1 20:45:02 PST 1995

JC>Your arguements make sense, but as you pointed out in the beginning
JC>TMs do hit with the right amount of force.  They are NOT as hard as
JC>sword blow as I have tried to point out.  Nor do I think they shoul
JC>But a blow that can be felt, but that does no real damage is approp
JC>This is what we need to make combat archery work properly.
JC>These are just quicky suggestions.  I am sure that if we put our he
JC>together we can come up with solutions to the problems.

(snip, snip, snip)

JC>Any ideas?
JC>
JC>Savian

This is my opinion exactly.  From my limited experience as a recipient,
the TM's are fine, and all we need do is take the appropriate measures to
protect the marshals and the spectators.  I guess that I was really
responding more to those who had seemed to hold out the opinion that an
arrow shot should be harder than (or at least as hard as) a sword blow
before we raised any safety questions.

I'm not sure just yet what I think those measures should be, however.
Protecting the marshals can mostly consist of good eye/face/throat
protection, something that would not get them hit by looking to much like
a fighter's helm.  The crowd is another thing though.  I have always been
a little uneasy about how close we sometimes allow people to stand to the
action at melees, and with combat archery especially.  But moving them
back far enough to be absolutely safe might mean moving them so far that
they can't really appreciate the fighting.  Let me think about this one
for a while longer, maybe I can come up with a useful idea or two.

Galen K.

___
 X Orator V1.13  X  [Windows Qwk Reader Unregistered Evaluation Copy]