Heraldry

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Fri Apr 7 20:31:27 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of James Crouchet  to All]

 JC> The only way I see this as being practical is if most heraldry is
 JC> designed by the heralds. Of course, I think most heraldry should be
 JC> designed by the heralds anyway.

This would be more authentic.

 JC> If the herald doing the designing is
 JC> knowledgeable this eliminates problems with non-period style and
 JC> non-heraldic style, and probably lessens the chance of conflict.

 JC> I know there are heralds who will design a piece of armory if
 JC> requested,  but this does not seem to be a common practice. What most
 JC> heralds do is  to take the submitter's device and try to "clean it
 JC> up" so it will pass.

This is because few consult the herald first.  In some cases, this is the
"fault" of the submittor, who thinks they know enough to design their own
arms.  In some cases, this is the "fault" of the branch herald, who doesn't
know enough about armory to be of any real help.  By using the term "fault" I
am not attempting to place any blame, as in either circumstance there are a
myriad of reasons why that circumstance exists.

Part of the problem, I believe, stems from the fact that every branch is
required, by Corpora, to have a Herald.  Even if noone in the group is
knowledgeable or even interested in heraldry, still someone must fill the
office.  This results in a lot of heralds who can't (or won't) do even a
barely adequate job for their clients.

Another part of the problem is that few know who the good consulting heralds
are.  Remember when you had to pass a written exam to be a Pursuivant
Extraordinary (which ranked below Pursuivant)?  Now everyone's either a
Coronet, a Pursuivant, or a Herald, but we rarely use these titles (coronet,
it seems, never) except within the College.

And, we don't hold enough consulation tables at events.

Perhaps the following would better serve the heralds, those wanting to
register armory, and the SCA.

Do not require branch heralds for branches smaller than Baronies, but do
encourage it.  Create a heraldic rank indicating skill at heraldic design and
consultation, and some semi-objective method of obtaining that rank. Require
that the Kingdoms have some number of heralds of this new rank, perhaps based
on population or on geographic regions or both (they're already required to
have at least one external commentor).  The Kingdoms should be encouraged
(required?) to run consultation tables at Crowns, Coronations, and other
events such that each region has two or three each year.  These of course
would be manned by heralds of the new rank, as well as those training for this
rank.  Local heralds, where they exist, would still accept submissions, and
where they didn't these would be sent to the Regional herald.  Local heralds
would still be permitted to consult, if they wished to, and their "score-card"
of succcessful registrations would figure in measuring their progress towards
the new rank.

I should note, for those readers not familiar with ranking within the CoH,
that the ranks are akin to ranks within a guild; they are not so much a
bureaucratic hierarchy and measure of skill in the particular craft (in this
case, heraldry).

 JC> What I do is ask the submitter if they have a prefered charge, a color
 JC> they would like to use and whether they like silver or gold better.
 JC> If  they need help selecting a charge I show them pictures from my
 JC> heraldic  library and make suggestions.

 JC> When they have decided what they want I design a device and present it
 JC> to  them.  If they don't like it I will make several attempts to find
 JC> something they will like. I suppose I would eventually give up if
 JC> they  didn't like anything I came up with, but I haven't failed yet.
 JC> And to  date every person I have worked for has a registered device
 JC> AND  associated badge.

This is very similar to a system I've taught several times in Ansteorra,
including the one Knowne World Heraldic Symposium we hosted several years ago.
 The main difference is that mine system is iterative, with conflict checking
in each step, working from the simplest armory (<tincture> a <charge>
<tincture>) and only making additions to clear conflict.

 JC> Now I'm not suggesting making such a system manditory. I am not sure
 JC> there are even enough heraldic designers to handle the load (though
 JC> this  would reduce the load in other places), but I would like to see
 JC> it become  a much more common practice.

The rise in the number of mandatory offices in recent years is one of the
major problems with the SCA.  I know a number of small branches where there
are just barely enough members to hold all the offices, so they just play
musical chairs.

                **** HERESY ALERT **** HERESY ALERT ****

We really only need two offices: the Seneschalate, to handle administrivia and
mundane matters; and the Arts & Sciences (under a new name, I *hate* this
name) to handle medieval matters.  There would be specific deputies, when
needed, to handle specific aspects of these two offices.

 JC> I guess one big obstical is the availability of herladic designers.
 JC> Heraldic design requires a person with knowledge of herladry and a
 JC> tallent for it.  I see it much like having a tallent in danceing,
 JC> painting or singing (things I'm not particularly good at). Anyone can
 JC> learn about it and make an attempt, but one must have a tallent to be
 JC> more than  mediocre. Add to that the fact that not everyone who might
 JC> have such a  tallent comes to the CoH and discovers their abilities
 JC> and we end up with  a limited pool.

Would the system I outlined above help with this?  The recognition provided by
the rank might serve to encourage more heralds to develope these skills and
those holding the rank would be marked as having these skills.

 JC> Anyway, I think that I will addopt your suggestion and start designing
 JC> more persona approprate heraldry.

Two years ago, at the KWHS held in the Shire of Rokkehealdan (Chicago), Da'ud
and Alison McDermot held a very interesting session on Regional Style Heraldry
in the SCA.  I believe the proceedings are available from Free Trumpet Press
West, if you don't already have them.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan (who, btw, is a Herald)
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable