Heraldry

Michael A. Chance mchance at crl.com
Mon Apr 10 09:02:30 PDT 1995

Baron Aodhan writes:

> Part of the problem, I believe, stems from the fact that every branch is
> required, by Corpora, to have a Herald.  Even if noone in the group is
> knowledgeable or even interested in heraldry, still someone must fill the
> office.  This results in a lot of heralds who can't (or won't) do even a
> barely adequate job for their clients.

The situation is further complicated by the unrealistic expectation
that any and all heralds should be competent in every aspect of SCA
heraldic activities.  In reality, there is only a very small minority
of heralds that fit that description.  Most of our heralds are really
only interested in a small subset of those activites.  Yet, we
continue to hold that someone who is an excellent field herald, but
who has neither the interest or talent for heraldic design and naming
practice, is "barely adequate" as a herald.  Or, worse, we push
someone who is an excellent researcher, but who doesn't have a strong
voice and is intimidated by the thought of performing in front of an
audience, into to field and court heraldry, where they fail miserably.
Branded "barely adequate" as a result, we end up losing a valuable
research herald.

> And, we don't hold enough consulation tables at events.

This is a chronic problem, complicated by the logistics of hauling
around the large amount of reference books needed to do even a
modestly reasonable job.

> Do not require branch heralds for branches smaller than Baronies, but do
> encourage it.

Absolutely!

> Create a heraldic rank indicating skill at heraldic design and
> consultation, and some semi-objective method of obtaining that rank.

Again, I think that we shouldn't force all heralds to be all things to
all people.  I'd rather see a system that identifies people as "armorial
design consultant", "names consultant", "field herald", "court
herald", "research herald", etc., with the ability to be certified in
more than one area of competence.  "Names consultants" could be
further identified with areas of specialization, such as Anglo-Saxon,
Norse, Russian, Italian, Spanish, Arabic, etc.

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: mc307a at sw1stc.sbc.com                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: mchance at crl.com