Heraldry

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Mon Apr 10 10:07:04 PDT 1995

On 7 Apr 1995, Aodhan Ite an Fhithich wrote:

> Dia duit!
>
>  [Replying to a message of James Crouchet  to All]

[...]
>  JC> I know there are heralds who will design a piece of armory if
>  JC> requested,  but this does not seem to be a common practice. What most
>  JC> heralds do is  to take the submitter's device and try to "clean it
>  JC> up" so it will pass.
>
> This is because few consult the herald first.  In some cases, this is the
> "fault" of the submittor, who thinks they know enough to design their own
> arms.  In some cases, this is the "fault" of the branch herald, who doesn't
> know enough about armory to be of any real help.  By using the term "fault" I
> am not attempting to place any blame, as in either circumstance there are a
> myriad of reasons why that circumstance exists.

[...]
> Perhaps the following would better serve the heralds, those wanting to
> register armory, and the SCA.
>
> Do not require branch heralds for branches smaller than Baronies, but do
> encourage it.  Create a heraldic rank indicating skill at heraldic design and
> consultation, and some semi-objective method of obtaining that rank. Require
> that the Kingdoms have some number of heralds of this new rank, perhaps based
> on population or on geographic regions or both (they're already required to
> have at least one external commentor).  The Kingdoms should be encouraged
> (required?) to run consultation tables at Crowns, Coronations, and other
> events such that each region has two or three each year.  These of course
> would be manned by heralds of the new rank, as well as those training for this
> rank.  Local heralds, where they exist, would still accept submissions, and
> where they didn't these would be sent to the Regional herald.  Local heralds
> would still be permitted to consult, if they wished to, and their "score-card"
> of succcessful registrations would figure in measuring their progress towards
> the new rank.

I think this would give a distorted picture of a herald's "skill". If one
can follow the rules of submissions and check for conflicts one is likely
to have a higher rate of sucess per submission, but that does not mean the
person designs simple, attractive heraldry. It is far too easy to find odd
or unattactive practices that are within the rules.  Combine a few of
these and you have a nasty looking piece of armory that will pass. We
sometimes refer to these as H.Y.N.A.P. or Hold Your Nose And Pass It. Of
course, nasty looking heraldry IS period. :-)

Heraldry is art, and there is no objective way to judge art. The best
atempt I have seen at recognizing this skill is the awarding of thistles
in heraldic art. Still, that doesn't really dent the problem.

The last personal rank I held in the CoH is Persuivant. I gained that
rank primarly for my activities as a field herald and teacher of same.
No one who does not know me knows what skills I have or how I attained my
heraldic rank. Short of creating an entire award system within the CoH,
complete with A&S awards, service awards and combat...er I mean field
heraldry awards I don't see a rank baised solution for this.

[...]

> Would the system I outlined above help with this?  The recognition provided by
> the rank might serve to encourage more heralds to develope these skills and
> those holding the rank would be marked as having these skills.

See above.

[...]

> Aodhan (who, btw, is a Herald)

Savian