Heraldry

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Tue Apr 4 15:18:37 PDT 1995

>> Do we REALLY need to get  into yet annother interminable
>authenticity debate? >
>
>No, we do not need another debate. Authenticity is but one part of
>the game that is the S.C.A., one you have no interest in or talent
>at, obviously.

On the contrary, I feel that authenticity has its place. But I find that in many
areas, especially those related to individual expression, that a more
modern, enlightened view is more useful and more appropriate.

>>If all they did was register arms with no regard for
>> "periodness" that would be one thing, but they don't.
>
>"If all they did was register arms with no regard for periodness..."
>My, wouldn't it be nice to see "taz" and "micky" and "terminator" and
>"pizza" and "M-16's" and "Ford Mustangs" and...well, you might get my
>drift here. Your statement is absurd and you obviously don't realize
>that the College of Arms has, and does, register many items that
>contain "non-period" charges and treatments.

Period charges and styles should of course be encouraged, as we encourage
period  dress, food, fighting, etc. But why should you be the ultimate
arbiters of
what someone may register? You already do allow the registration of a number
of non-period charges (and have since the inception of the college of heraldry.

Yes, some people proably would want to register silly arms, but some people
will do silly things regardless and there is nothing you can do to stop
them really, why make them suffer the insults and hassle that you do?

> We, in the S.C.A. and in the College of
>Heralds, ARE trying to re- create a period feel in the Society.

But why is it that YOU get to decide if somehting has enogh of a period
feel, certainly other people coould find somethign to have a period feel at
different levels of authenticity.

> We do try to "shoot down" every device presented,

and spend damn little time trying to help people get what they want passed.

> mainly because we do not want
>our client's (submitter's) time to be wasted in submitting a device
>that cannot be registered under the current rules.

So lets change the rules, change submission guidlines to accept a MUCH
greater degree of freedom, still encourage period heraldry but do not
REQUIRE it.

> We also do our very
>best to find a way for the submitter to have what they want within
>the current practices and guidelines of the Rules for Submission. I,
>and other heralds, have spent countless hours assisting our clients
>in researching, documenting, and designing armory and names that will
>serve them well in the S.C.A..

You help them do things which will serve you needs in the society, but do
you really spend that much time trying to find out what thier needs
actually are?
Have you ever encountered someone who just will not be happy with arms which
could pass? Who require something from the game that you don't want to give?

>> And dance developed as a socially acceptable way of demonstrating your
>> fitness to mate, it moved beyond that to a method of personal expression,
>> why can't
>> heraldry do the same?
>
>Simply, heraldry very much is, nowadays, a method of personal
>expression.

But you as a herald become an arbiter of the persons freedom of expression.
you delineate and area of allowable expression and then slam the gate down.

Which is why I have long advocated that people find arms they like, that
they want, that is important to them. If they can register it wonderful, if
they can make minor changes wich make it more period without losing
anything essential fantastic. But if they can't don't bother trying to
register, it is not worth the hassle & insult the heralds give you.

>-Kief

-mcihael