Heraldry

Sheilagh Marie Blaise O'Hare calypso at eden.com
Wed Apr 5 11:30:53 PDT 1995

> >"pizza" and "M-16's" and "Ford Mustangs" and...well, you might get my

Would the running Mustang emblem (monochrome) on a solid background really
be a bad choice?  We don't live in Europe, there are perfectly noble symbols
from this hemisphere that would seem right.

> So lets change the rules, change submission guidlines to accept a MUCH
> greater degree of freedom, still encourage period heraldry but do not
> REQUIRE it.

One very good reason for this would be to encourage more people to detail
their trappings, displaying more color & banners, which *would* be an
improvement to the look & feel of events.

nother question:  are the heraldic guidelines meant to be European?  I don't
want to just assume that, but it doesn't seem like much non-Continental stuff
gets displayed;  would Japanese or Native American designs be put down, even if
they were possible in Period?  It might bring a heterogenousness to events
that displeases some aesthetic tastes, but big merchant cities have always
had colorful alien visitors.  And no, I don't mean Xfiles aliens.  A pierced
& tattoed Maori king would certainly clash with an Italian event, but....

sheilagh