Heraldry

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Thu Apr 6 22:21:18 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of "I. Marc Carlson"  to All]

 "MC> OTOH, *MY Device*, that of a "Bengal Tiger Natural" was neither known
 "MC> in period nor cited in Bestiaries.  Tygers were, of course, but were
 "MC> absolutely unlike what we think of today as Tigers.

Did the Arabs not know of them (perhaps from Persian traders)?  Did Marco Polo
not see one on his travels or perhaps in a zoo kept by the Khan?  I ask, not
to doubt your statement, but because the heraldic tiger strikes me as being
very like what travellers' tales would have changed a natural tiger to.

 "MC> And just a note, when commenting on devices and charges that people
 "MC> use, I have no statistics to prove my supposition, but I would
 "MC> suggest that far more devices are used than are ever submitted or
 "MC> passed.

Here's an idea for an interesting way to get a statistic sampling for this.
Go to Pennsic. Spend the entire War writing down blazons for every piece of
armory displayed.  After the war, count how many are registered and how many
are not.   You'll end up seeing more of the camp than just about anyone else
sees, plus meet *a lot* of people, most of whom will remember you ("Oh yeah,
that crazy herald writing down *everyone's* devices..." <VBG>).

 "MC> "Mihi Satis Apparet Propter     Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
 "MC>   Se Ipsum Appetenda Sapientia" University of Northkeep

I'll translate mine if you'll tanslate yours <g>.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable