Heraldry

Michael A. Chance mchance at crl.com
Mon Apr 17 09:54:01 PDT 1995

Gwenllian writes:

> >The case of the local group herald IMHO *directly* contradicts this
> >statement. The local herald is *expected* to be able to help with name
> >research, drawing up & checking proposed devices/arms for conflicts,
> >provide announcements at group events, and do the court, if the
> >king/noble(s) do *not* provide their own herald. At least, that's the
> >way it's presented up here in the north.

> My understanding is that I need to _make arrangements_ for vocal heraldry
> when needed for court or field, not that I must undertake it myself.

This is what _should_ be expected of a local branch herald, but that
doesn't seem to be the case for most local groups.

> Since
> I am a research-oriented book herald and have an essentially inaudible
> voice and stage fright, I have found alternative solutions. When I meet
> with the local nobles and/or visiting royalty about court, I have a list of
> several excellent court heralds who are willing to help out when needed.
> For field heraldry, I have a deputy who goes to all of our tournaments,
> takes along staffs and baldrics, and recruits field heralds as needed.
> Admittedly, this is a large barony with lots of talented people, but I
> think similar approaches could work in other groups.

As you said, Bryn Gwlad is a large barony, blessed by a large number
of talented people in each of the various aspects of the herald's art.
Most small baronies, and nearly every shire (save maybe those that are
larger than many baronies) *do no have* these kinds of resources, and
can't always rely on folks from outside the group providing them.
Thus, the duties fall back on the local herald, who may very well not
be able to perform them competently.  As a result, a lot of people get
discouraged or burn out quickly or simply don't bother to do some
aspects of the job.  In any case, the local group suffers as a result
of the combination of the requirement that every group have a herald
and the unreasonable expectation that any herald should be able to
handle any aspect of the heraldic arts.

> The point is for each
> individual herald to do what they do best, but for the local officer to act
> as a coordinator/administrator to make sure every job gets done by someone.

Just like the MoAS.  Unfortunately, this is rarely the case.

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: mc307a at sw1stc.sbc.com                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: mchance at crl.com