Heraldry

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Mon Apr 17 12:40:09 PDT 1995

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Michael A. Chance wrote:

> Gwenllian writes:
>
> > >The case of the local group herald IMHO *directly* contradicts this
> > >statement. The local herald is *expected* to be able to help with name
> > >research, drawing up & checking proposed devices/arms for conflicts,
> > >provide announcements at group events, and do the court, if the
> > >king/noble(s) do *not* provide their own herald. At least, that's the
> > >way it's presented up here in the north.
>
> > My understanding is that I need to _make arrangements_ for vocal heraldry
> > when needed for court or field, not that I must undertake it myself.
>
> This is what _should_ be expected of a local branch herald, but that
> doesn't seem to be the case for most local groups.

Are you saying this is not what Star expects of them, or it is not what
they DO?

[...]
> > The point is for each
> > individual herald to do what they do best, but for the local officer to act
> > as a coordinator/administrator to make sure every job gets done by someone.
>
> Just like the MoAS.  Unfortunately, this is rarely the case.

But it CAN work this way. First the herald has to recruit folks to serve
as duputies.  Then get in touch with the CoH staff to help with the
training. If a herald finds themselves without help with an event comming
up they should contact the CoH staff who oversee the specailties they
need (i.e. Golden Staff for court, Wakeforest for field) and explain
their situation. I have gone to events to run the field heraldry and
trained volunteers in the morning before the tournament before.  I know
Golden Staff has gone to events and sent other trained court heralds to
events to fill in for a court when the local herald needed.

The local herald still has a lot to do in this case, but they don't have
to suddenly have new skills they haven't trained in.  As has been stated
several times here, local herald is a tough job, not for the faint of
heart.

> Mikjal Annarbjorn

Savian