Heraldry

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Apr 13 15:03:13 PDT 1995

Savian writes:

>I have not heard of anyone being forced to do voice or book heraldry
>against their will just because they do the other.

The case of the local group herald IMHO *directly* contradicts this
statement. The local herald is *expected* to be able to help with name
research, drawing up & checking proposed devices/arms for conflicts,
provide announcements at group events, and do the court, if the
king/noble(s) do *not* provide their own herald. At least, that's the
way it's presented up here in the north. And it's caused many a problem
in my own group (Mooneschadoweshire), as previous heralds have turned
white & prayed to ghod that the King/visiting Baron would *Please*
bring their own herald, as they in no way wanted to be stuck doing
court. Some of our heralds have been quite good with the name/device
research, and it shows in the number of submissions that were sent in
during their tenure. The ones who didn't understand the process
*definitely* did not send in many, *if* any. Instead of being forced to
do something they did not want to do, they simply avoided the problem
by not doing any of it.

Estrill Swet
Dancemonger
Mooneschadoweshire