Heraldry

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Mon Apr 17 12:07:06 PDT 1995

On Thu, 13 Apr 1995, Deborah Sweet wrote:

> Savian writes:
>
> >I have not heard of anyone being forced to do voice or book heraldry
> >against their will just because they do the other.
>
> The case of the local group herald IMHO *directly* contradicts this
> statement. The local herald is *expected* to be able to help with name
> research, drawing up & checking proposed devices/arms for conflicts,
> provide announcements at group events, and do the court, if the
> king/noble(s) do *not* provide their own herald. At least, that's the
> way it's presented up here in the north. And it's caused many a problem
[...]

> Estrill Swet
> Dancemonger
> Mooneschadoweshire
> Stillwater, OK

Well, of course, you cannot hold a voice heraldry office if you do not do
voice heraldry, a book heraldry office if you do not do that, nor an
office that requires both if you do not do both.  But there are many
positions open in the CoH and if none suit your skills Star will probably
be willing to find an office/job that does.

Now if you disagree about the requirements for a specific office, that is
a seperate issue. You may wish to start a thread on "Should Local Heralds
Have to Do Everything". But that doesn't mean the CoH cannot use your
help if you don't do everything.

On the subject of local heralds, we had an interesting solution to the
problem of skills here in Bryn Gwlad.  Years ago we had a herald who did
not care to do voice, not having much voice.  She made me voice deputy
and had me take care of that part of the job.  She even suggested that if
I wanted the office someday I should find a couple "book" deputies. Of
course, this assumes SOMEONE in your group has the skills you lack. I
suspect that all the CoH cares about is that the job gets done.

Savian