Heraldry

Wendy E. Erisman werisman at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 14 10:53:36 PDT 1995

>The case of the local group herald IMHO *directly* contradicts this
>statement. The local herald is *expected* to be able to help with name
>research, drawing up & checking proposed devices/arms for conflicts,
>provide announcements at group events, and do the court, if the
>king/noble(s) do *not* provide their own herald. At least, that's the
>way it's presented up here in the north.

I have been the local herald in Bryn Gwlad for over a year and deputy for
eighteen months before that, and I have to disagree with this conception.
My understanding is that I need to _make arrangements_ for vocal heraldry
when needed for court or field, not that I must undertake it myself. Since
I am a research-oriented book herald and have an essentially inaudible
voice and stage fright, I have found alternative solutions. When I meet
with the local nobles and/or visiting royalty about court, I have a list of
several excellent court heralds who are willing to help out when needed.
For field heraldry, I have a deputy who goes to all of our tournaments,
takes along staffs and baldrics, and recruits field heralds as needed.
Admittedly, this is a large barony with lots of talented people, but I
think similar approaches could work in other groups. The point is for each
individual herald to do what they do best, but for the local officer to act
as a coordinator/administrator to make sure every job gets done by someone.
                                                Gwenllian

Wendy Erisman                                   Lady Gwenllian ferch Maredudd
Dept. of Anthropology                           Halberd Pursuivant
UT Austin                                       Barony of Bryn Gwlad
werisman at mail.utexas.edu                        Kingdom of Ansteorra