Heraldry

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Fri Apr 14 17:48:17 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of Deborah Sweet to All]

 DS> Savian writes:

 >> I have not heard of anyone being forced to do voice or book heraldry
 >> against their will just because they do the other.

 DS> The case of the local group herald IMHO *directly* contradicts this
 DS> statement. The local herald is *expected* to be able to help with
 DS> name  research, drawing up & checking proposed devices/arms for
 DS> conflicts,  provide announcements at group events, and do the court,
 DS> if the  king/noble(s) do *not* provide their own herald. At least,
 DS> that's the  way it's presented up here in the north.

That's generally the case throughout the Kingdom (and the Knowne World).
Which is why I suggested that branches below Baronies not be *required* to
have a herald.  In a Barony, you (theoretically) have enough population to
have several people interested in heraldry, each of whom can concentrate on
their particular interests while they cycle in turn through the office using
the others as deputies.

Further, I'm aware of very few shires in period that had their own herald -
town crier, maybe, but not a herald.  While this may also hold true for
Baronies, especially as regards registering arms, a Baron was far more likely
to have someone who performed the ceremonial role that our heralds perform.

 DS> And it's caused
 DS> many a problem  in my own group (Mooneschadoweshire), as previous
 DS> heralds have turned  white & prayed to ghod that the King/visiting
 DS> Baron would *Please*  bring their own herald, as they in no way
 DS> wanted to be stuck doing  court. Some of our heralds have been quite
 DS> good with the name/device  research, and it shows in the number of
 DS> submissions that were sent in  during their tenure. The ones who
 DS> didn't understand the process  *definitely* did not send in many,
 DS> *if* any. Instead of being forced to  do something they did not want
 DS> to do, they simply avoided the problem  by not doing any of it.

Yep.  Herald is probably the most labor intensive office in the SCA, and the
only one that expects the office holder to be adept at a wide variety of
(non-modern, to boot) skills.  Seneschal used to require as much work years
ago, before Reeve, Hospitaller, and Constable were split out into separate
offices.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable