Heraldry

STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU
Mon Apr 17 16:33:21 PDT 1995

> From:           dssweet at okway.okstate.edu (Deborah Sweet)
> Subject:        Re: Heraldry
>
> The case of the local group herald IMHO *directly* contradicts this
> statement. The local herald is *expected* to be able to help with name
> research, drawing up & checking proposed devices/arms for conflicts,
> provide announcements at group events, and do the court, if the
> king/noble(s) do *not* provide their own herald. At least, that's the
> way it's presented up here in the north.

No one is forcing them to do _all_ the heraldic duties...it might be
expected of them, but they are not forced.

> And it's caused many a problem
> in my own group (Mooneschadoweshire), as previous heralds have turned
> white & prayed to ghod that the King/visiting Baron would *Please*
> bring their own herald, as they in no way wanted to be stuck doing
> court.

Let me tell you a story..."A long time ago I took a P.E. test, golly
I passed! I have never been even a branch herald, nor a voice herald
at all. In fact I had not been active in the CoH here in Ansteorra
for a few years. Then, one fine day, HRM Inman said to me, "Kiefie,
whatcha doin' for the next two years?" The rest, as they say, is
current history. I went from having never heralding a court to
heralding the court of the King at various places...like Pennsic.
Nervous I was, and white, and I prayed to my gods to see me through
it all. If you, as local herald, just cannot do "court' you don't
have to...I would hope that you would try though, everyone has to
start somewhere. I would also hope that any of the Nobility that came
to visit a small group with Court in mind would bring a herald with
them, or a herald with experience would either coach you or VOLUNTEER
to share their experience and herald the court themselves.

Some of our heralds have been quite good with the name/device
> research, and it shows in the number of submissions that were sent in
> during their tenure. The ones who didn't understand the process
> *definitely* did not send in many, *if* any. Instead of being forced to
> do something they did not want to do, they simply avoided the problem
> by not doing any of it.

Good points here! We need more education in all matters heraldic.
Research, names, armory, all aspects of voice... As soon as we can we
will have a Kingdom Heraldic Symposium. If _you_ (this means all of
you out there *grin*) have experience, share it, don't let new and/or
shy pursuivants wallow in the mire of inexperience! Help them out.
Teach, coach, and train...Just Do It!
(this has been a paid political announcement...)

> Estrill Swet

Kief, one who should know better than to say yes so often...:-)