Heraldry idea...

Michael A. Chance mchance at crl.com
Thu Aug 10 14:23:25 PDT 1995

Several years ago, Arval Benicouer came up with a similar idea in the
East Kingdom.  He even went so far as to put together of around 50-100
coats of arms that (a) were simple heraldry in classic styles and (b)
where considered to be clear of any known conflicts at the time the
book was assembled.  He brought the book to Pennsic for a couple of
years, and made it available to folks utilizing the Heraldic
Consultation Tent.  I don't believe that any more than a couple of
dozen coats of arms were ever taken out of that book.

It's not a bad idea, it's just that most SCA folks seem, at the time
when they start to seriously think about designing a coat of arms, to
already have a lot of pre-conceived notions about what heraldry should
look like.  Most of them wrong, however.  They arrive at their local
herald, or at a heraldic consultation table at an event, with a design
that they've spent hours working at.  It's very rare to get someone
who will, upfront, tell you, "Well, I like blue and yellow, and
eagles.  What can I have that looks nice?".  The usual pattern is that
they want their entire persona history and all of their current SCA
interests mixed into their coat of arms somehow.

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: mc307a at sw1stc.sbc.com                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: mchance at crl.com