Period Heraldric Styles...

Nan Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Aug 17 12:14:01 PDT 1995

>Cause I feel arbitrarily deciding *one* thing is period an all others
>aren't is childish. I'd love to see everyone be period in all matters,
>but they aren't. Why force period heraldry down their throat just
>because they want to ensure their arms are unique?

First, let's substitute "proper" for the word period.

Second, I would prefer people go through the CoH and check for conflicts
because I'm going to be really p****d if I walk out on the field at at
event and someone is flying a banner that is remarkably similar to mine
just because they didn't have the courtesy to check and someone told them
"Oh, you can display anything you want"!  They have infringed on *my*
identity and a person looking for me me might well mistake the interloper's
banner for mine and think I was at an event when I wasn't even in the
county.  In this entire exchange, it seems that I am the only one who has
been reminding people *why* we do what we do with heraldry.  Letting
someone go unchecked with a conflicting device is almost like lending them
your I.D. card.  Your arms identify you and no one else.  I was mildly
disturbed by Katya's arms until I found out that the colors were totally
different from mine and could hardly be confused.  She has a fretty chief
and an heraldic rose, but in greens and blues, can't remember the exact
blazon right now.

|Nan Bradford-Reid                    |HL Catherine Harwell, CIM, AST       |
|The Department of English            |Barony of Bryn Gwlad                 |
|The University of Texas              |Kingdom of Ansteorra

|Austin, TX, sister city to Adelaide  |~Simplicitas sum Venustas~           |
|512-471-4991                         |Argent, on a fret vert, a rose
gules,|                      |n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu             |barbed
and seeded or.                |
|           ******Fascination with the world keeps me going*******          |