Period Heraldric Styles...

R. Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Thu Aug 17 14:29:40 PDT 1995

["proper"}
>Neither.  It refers to the rules which govern heraldry.

You keep going on about this, Heraldry Is not some enduring monolith that
has remained unchanged through time and crosses borders untouched by the
hand of man.

Heraldry HAS evolved over time, even during the period we concern ourselves
with in the society from 600-1600 there is a tremendous metamorphasis. And
then if one wants to get into the national differenes in heraldic systems
you find
systems at such odds that attempting to rationalize them is like trying to
dry a fish in a creek.

> The rules of
>heraldry do not apply only to devices prior to 1600, they apply even today.

No, they don't.

Take a look at simple things, like field treatments. Field Treatments are a
highly uncommon occurance in period heraldry, however once you start
getiing into post-period heraldry they become much more common.

Take a look at the difference between post victorian and early norman
heraldry for a lesson in diversity.

> I agree with Savian, if one
>doesn't want real heraldry, why be concerned with what the heralds think,
>anyhoo?

Decause i might not want someone else using my device.

>Catherine

-michael