Period stuff(ed)...

Chris Walden cmwalden at bga.com
Thu Aug 17 15:13:26 PDT 1995

In this debate about what heraldry is and is not politically correct and
appropriately sensitive to all comers, I've got a few quesitons:

PUG, are you serious?  Are you really supporting the view-point that you
profess, or are you just hopping on the debate-the-hell-out-of-anything
bandwagon?

Can everyone hear themselves and each other?  From reading the posts on this
discussion mailer thingie, were I not a participant in the SCA, I would have
to assume that the SCA was a social sporting group that had suddenly been
overrun with fanatics who were shoving unwanted history lessons down
people's throats.

Is there anyone who did not know that the SCA was related to the exploration
of life in the Middle Ages and Renaissance?  Is there anyone who did not
want to be exposed to the history?  Do all of you get your historical
perspective from the latest Dr. Who where they visited a planet where people
were kinda stuck in the Middle Ages?

Now I know I'm going off half-cocked here.  (Aren't you glad I didn't wait
until I was fully cocked?)  But I am just amazed at the attitudes that I see
expressed here.  You people are so hung up on "enforcement" and people
trampling on your rights.  If you want to draw 3-D penises and have
camoflage T-tunics with winky-blink lights all over them and call yourself
Arnold the King of Prussian Land Fills, I just couldn't care less.  If you
don't want to crack a book, or look around or listen to anyone or do
anything except espouce your own version of what you want to do, GO FOR IT!

As long as you keep to the marshalate rules and don't hurt anyone or break
mundane law, I am proud to uphold your rights as an American Human Being.
Please, be an elf!  Be a Nazi thrown back in time.  Be the Middle Ages the
way you jolly well want them, with RVs, laptop computers and all!  Let's
bear Pepsi adds on our shields at Pensic and sell the add space.  Let's just
take everything that we understand of our world and dress it up in funny
clothes, but only if we want to, because we, as modern ultra developed
people realize that those pathetic superstitious primitives have nothing
enlightening for us today.

If you don't care, fine.  DON'T CARE.

Surely at least one of you started to play with this group because you found
romance, beauty and enlightenment from a time when they had a different
point of view, and in some cases a different set of priorities.  Surely
someone has found more here than just another RAT RACE where they can
compete and prove that they are the smartest and most aggressive person to
creep up the ladder.  Surely there is someone here who really gives a damn.

Well, if you exist, you know where to find me.  Because I'll be doing what I
do, the best that I can, and hope that I get better as I go.

I remain Yours, etc.
Antonio Bastiano
or cmwalden at bga.com