Event Ideals (fighting)

R. Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Tue Jul 11 15:49:15 PDT 1995

> When a person enters the list, most times he/she is
>entering to win the list.  Thats what it is all about.

ARGHHH!

This is the attitude which has turned me off of fighting in the SCA more
than anything else (well maybe the White Belt force field & free knee shot
bullshit).
Believe it or not there are a lot of fighters who are not in it "just to win"
that attitude tends to make for rhino-hiding, questionable blows, and the
whole host of unchivalric behaivior that occurs too often in the society.

The society I joined had ppl that fought for honor, glory, and to do
curtosy to the people who's favor they held. Now, I guess winning is all
that counts.

> It gets right down to
>you aren't entering the list so whether or not you are bored by it is not an
>issue.

Tripe. Egregious tripe. This is not the Society of bashing people with
rattan, it is about a hell of a lot more than just whether some stupid
stick jock bubba wants to win.

>Mara O.L.

-mcihael