Musicians

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Thu Jul 13 19:13:02 PDT 1995

<zarazena at io.com (Vicki)>
> You ask how would I prefer to be treated? I would repeat all that Cynric
>said.  I, too, play many times simply to play...enjoying the chance to sit
>down and make pretty sounds.  Yes, most of the time we are "background
>music" and that is what we are supposed to do. But in performing that
>"background music", are you aware of all the research and rehearsal that
>goes into it?

I think I *might* have an inkling, yes

> If a person were to spend hours and hours researching and making beautiful
>wall hangings to drape around a hall in order to give the feasthall a more
>"period" look, do you think they should get *some* recognition?? Perhaps
>some word fame??

Should?  Perhaps.  Do?  Not in my experience.

>  One of the things I have learned, is that if the nobility pays attention
>and acknowledges people for what they do, others will often follow suit.
>This does not necessarily mean being given awards (although that's not a bad
>idea)....

I agree that there should be some sort of acknowledgement for effort
expended, yes (although I don't think you *really* want to hear how I
feel about giving awards for what I think should otherwise be a nice
thing to do :) ).

>  I have had nobles that listened intently to a performance, would not
>allow an interruption, and thanked the performer personally.  I have also
>had nobles who didn't know, didn't care, and had no idea who was playing for
>them.

Well, not all nobles are versed in music...

Heck, many of us more commoner sort can barely tell a treble clef from
a whole note :)

>In our music guild in Bryn Gwlad, we tried many things.  One of which was
>to give an afternoon "tea", giving a small concert at Ladies Tournament of
>Chivalry- 2 yrs ago I think.  It was quite nice, and, though not very well
>attended, those who were there seemed to appreciate the performance.

I assume that those who attended were actually interested in listening
and appreciating what you were doing?

> Do you people out there *like* live music at events? Or do you prefer to
>dance, fight, and eat to the sound of recorded music coming from a tape
>recorder?

Personally, I'd be interested in music for more than just feasts and
the intermittant dancing we get up here.  I prefer live music to taped,
but one uses what one can get.

>If you don't, perhaps you should find a way to encourage the
>musicians from your area. Or become one yourself. (I suppose the alternative
>is to not have any music at all.  I've been to events like that...YUCHHH!!)

Tell me about it.

I tend not to complain about the lack of music because I have enough irons
in the fire, AND am a big believer in putting one's money where one's
mouth is, and I have a life long inability to learn to play music :)

That *is* however, why I asked for what you would prefer for recognition
and encouragement.

Actually, I can't think of many musicians from my particular region, and
of the one or two I interact with elsewhere, are more interested in not
sharing their talents at SCA stuff, I assume for similar reasons to the
ones you have suggested.

>I am currently working on some ideas for a Kingdom College of Music, that
>will include the Kingdom Choir and a Kingdom Orchestra. I have talked to
>some of the active musicians that I know about it, but would like any input
>- musicians, singers, or listeners.

I wish you well with it.

Diarmuit.