Musicians

Vicki zarazena at io.com
Thu Jul 13 17:37:02 PDT 1995

Unto Diarmuit and others interested,

 You ask how would I prefer to be treated? I would repeat all that Cynric
said.  I, too, play many times simply to play...enjoying the chance to sit
down and make pretty sounds.  Yes, most of the time we are "background
music" and that is what we are supposed to do. But in performing that
"background music", are you aware of all the research and rehearsal that
goes into it?

 If a person were to spend hours and hours researching and making beautiful
wall hangings to drape around a hall in order to give the feasthall a more
"period" look, do you think they should get *some* recognition?? Perhaps
some word fame??

  One of the things I have learned, is that if the nobility pays attention
and acknowledges people for what they do, others will often follow suit.
This does not necessarily mean being given awards (although that's not a bad
idea).  I have had nobles that listened intently to a performance, would not
allow an interruption, and thanked the performer personally.  I have also
had nobles who didn't know, didn't care, and had no idea who was playing for
them.

 In our music guild in Bryn Gwlad, we tried many things.  One of which was
to give an afternoon "tea", giving a small concert at Ladies Tournament of
Chivalry- 2 yrs ago I think.  It was quite nice, and, though not very well
attended, those who were there seemed to appreciate the performance.

 Do you people out there *like* live music at events? Or do you prefer to
dance, fight, and eat to the sound of recorded music coming from a tape
recorder?  If you don't, perhaps you should find a way to encourage the
musicians from your area. Or become one yourself. (I suppose the alternative
is to not have any music at all.  I've been to events like that...YUCHHH!!)

 I am currently working on some ideas for a Kingdom College of Music, that
will include the Kingdom Choir and a Kingdom Orchestra. I have talked to
some of the active musicians that I know about it, but would like any input
- musicians, singers, or listeners.

   I remain, In Service to the Society, Lady Zahra Zena Theanos