Apology and a Warning on Crafts

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Wed Jul 26 09:44:48 PDT 1995

(This is cross posted from the Rialto, but only because I know not everyone
here reads that forum)

This is in response to a flame I have just received via private mail.
Rather than get into it, I would like to apologize to the membership
of this forum.   I have never had any intention of trying to seem like
a "Know it all" or self-proclaimed expert in anything.  If I seem to
have answers for a lot of the questions that get asked here, it is
because I am a Librarian (with lesser degrees in history and anthropology)
and have at my disposal an academically adequate university library.
I also have an intense desire to learn, and finding answers for other
people's questions is often a learning experience for me as well.

I see that this should probably be curtailed.

As for the research I have done and presented on the use of skeletal
materials, well, it would appear to be dubious, although in what ways was
not made clear.  It has never been my intention that anyone do my research
for me, but rather to share the information I was picking up as an infant
learning to crawl.  If I had a motive other than to exchange information
with other beginners, it was to show that this sort of work is really not
something that you need to be an expert at anything to play with.

I most humbly apologize for giving any other impression.

Finally, regarding my rather aggressive attitude towards the scholastic
attitude held by the SCA at large, well what can I say?  That's been my
experience and I'm standing by it.  If that further shoots my credibilty,
it certainly can't do more than I have done to myself.

Now, if you will excuse me, I think I'll go skulk off to lick my wounds.

Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
Northkeep, Ansteorra
(I. Marc Carlson/IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu)