Boxes

LANGJ at mail.syntron.com LANGJ at mail.syntron.com
Thu Mar 2 08:51:16 PST 1995

	 Regrettably, the chroniclers of the middle ages though little
	 about documenting the minutia of their culture.  The mediaeval
	 equivalent of shoeboxes and can openers get little press, even
	 when they are unearthed in old world archaeological excavations.

	 Some museum catalogs contain detailed descriptions of some of the
	 articles on display (and in their collections).  Most often, the
	 case is the one that you described, buying an expensive book for
	 ten pages of material.

	 The best source that I have found for the material that you are
	 looking for, is an unofficial publication:

			     Sacred Spaces
			     c/o Matthew Power
			     202 S. Library St.
			     Greenville NC  27858

	 This publication (back issues are available) is devoted to the
	 construction of period furnishings and structures.  You may not be
	 interested in constructing a full sized period great hall (they do
	 have the plans), but there are details on the construction of
	 collapsible furniture and other artifacts (I seem to recall trunks,
	 but even if there has been nothing published that you require, Mr.
	 Power is a wealth of information).  The last time I renewed, it
	 cost $10/yr.

	 I'd like to see it (them) when done. . . .

	 bran
	 [langj at mail.syntron.com]