Litch & the Hospitaller's office

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Thu Mar 23 16:13:50 PST 1995

>I am disturbed by the growing trend to 'need' or 'expect' awards for doing
>a job or holding an office.  (I have seen and heard this many different
>places) Awards are wonderful, nice, exciting but not something to expect.
>Being an officer (running an event, erc) is hard work.  Doing it to get a
>reward makes it twice as hard I would think. [I'm wonderful &selfless]
>  Never in any of these positions did I consider that I
>might get an award out of it.

Yeah right. *snort*

Needing or expecting awards is utterly natural. Any reasonable creature who
can put two and two together and get some number under ten can plainly tell
that awards are the main way we recognize people's contribution to the society.
Anyone with a hint of a clue and a reasonable degree of self-esteem is
certainly going to expect recognition for thier efforts, most commonly
expressed in the form of an award. There may in fact be such utter paragons
of virtue and selflessness that they truely don't note such things but I
have yet to meet one and would regard such a creature as pathalogical
and probably unfit for the real world.

>It is sad to find someone who has not received an award that is deserved.

You must be heartbroken on a regular basis.

>If you know someone like that, write the King and Queen, their highnesses,
>your Baron and Baroness and seneschal. Get friends to do so also.

And watch precisely nothing happen, or watch petty politics come into play
to prevent someone from recieving the recognition that is thier due.

>As for folks receiving awards undeservedly, I am appalled that folks spend
>time discussing whether someone is worthy or not.

Really? How the hell do you decide if someone you know slightly deserves
your reccomendation? Isn't that the POINT of the various peerage circles?
How do you compare yourself to other people unless you talk about thier
qualifications?

>Baroness Clarissa

-Michael