A&S Competitions Was Re: Tournaments

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Fri Mar 24 13:49:27 PST 1995

Not a bad idea, Estrill.  In fact, I too have a twitch about A&S
compititions. By setting asside an area to display our "most period
works" we are implicidly pointing out that we are, in fact, moderns doing
the SCA thing. If such art was displayed in period it would not have
included plain carts, looms and crossbow shafts, all of which I have
displayed in our A&S as examples of my woodworking.

Perhaps a better idea is for the judges to wander from camp to camp and
give a scroll for _best camp_. (I would prefer to avoid the term _most
period camp_ as another admission of our moderness). This would also
encourage folks to turn their efforts to one of the two most important
A&S applications in the SCA, period encampments (the other is costuming).
After all, our events are meant to re-create as well as rec-reate and for
that encampments with a period look are essential.

While we are talking about judging let me point out that we are all
judges. While official recognition is nice, any one of us can give word
fame and/or largess for something good that we see.  Next time you go to
an event take a prize or two and give them to the person you see with the
best A&S. Or give them word fame.

Here is a challenge for the bards: next bardic circle you are in describe
some wonderfull A&S you have seen and tell who made it. A _good_ bard
could really make his audience appriciate the item. Perhaps work it into
a story, song or poem.

Savian