A&S expertise levels

Todd Marsh tmarsh at iadfw.net
Fri Mar 31 18:43:18 PST 1995

Mordraut said:
>  ... when a fighter has a good, but
>loosing fight, they usually get feedback from other fighters.  In the A&S
>world that does not happen, people enter A&S competition and often get no
>comments/feedback/etc.  So it becomes futile, they do not know why they did
>not get any recognition/feedback, all they know is that they lost.

I agree that feedback is very important for artisans, and that they
frequently don't get any.  As others have said, I think that the format of
the competition is less important than insuring that the entrants get
comments on their work to help them improve.

Commenting on A&S is one of the hardest things I have ever done in the SCA.
It takes lots of time and an understanding of the artisan to give useful,
constructive critisims.  Please make the effort when you can.

On the other hand, prizes are easy to give, and also are good for
recognizing effort.  Take a few cheap gifts to your next event and give them
to the artists or bards that interest you. They'll love it, and you will
feel like nobility.

Llywelyn Gruffydd
Elfsea, Ansteorra
mka Todd Marsh