Rapier Trends

cmwalden at bga.com cmwalden at bga.com
Tue May 2 10:14:37 PDT 1995

More Rapier stuff.

>From: James Crouchet <crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com>
>Ok, so how about telling us about who YOU are. You should be able to do
>that without tipping your hand.

Fair enough.  My name is Antonio Marco Giovanni Bastiano.  I have been
involved with the SCA since about 1987, and started fighting rapier
immediately.  I was cadetted to Don Alden several years ago, though it has
taken a feeling of permanence such that I can't tell you how long ago.  Like
Savien I have been influenced by Tivar, Iolo and other "Pillars of Bryn
Gwlad."  I cannot however, match Saviens vigorous history with the sword.
Though I have been involved with fencing for many years, a combination of an
injury (in the first round of Queens, no doubt) and mundane concerns pulled
me away from being very active.  Some people still know who I am, but many
do not.

I was raised on a strong system of honor and internalization of what you do
on the field and off.  One of my most profound memories was the time, at a
Tuesday night fighter practice, Don Blayne placed the point of a real rapier
against my bare chest.  As the cold steel pressed lightly into my flesh he
looked me in the eye and said "This is what we are doing.  How does that
feel?  How hard do you want to press on that?"  That memory has been with me
every time I have watched "the Machine" at Academies of the Rapier.  Other
events have strongly shaped my beliefs about what we do, but I'll not bore
you with them now, when I can bore you with them later.

I am still a cadet.  I am still very interested in the Rapier Community and
what is being done.  I have been studying period fencing techniques, such as
di Grassi, and working with Schlager, as well as continuing to revive my
skills with foil and epee.  Oh, yeah.  I just became Deputy Rapier Marshall
of Bryn Gwlad.

>From: tmarsh at iadfw.net (Todd Marsh)
>LOCAL MARSHALS AND DONS CANNOT SIGN AUTHORIZATIONS,
What would you say are the benifits of this system?  Do you feel there are
any disadvantages?

You also made several points about the proper authorization of people who
are in positions of responsibility.  That all makes sense to me.

At the end you discussed the need for an authorization bout.  I noticed that
you advocated observing the fighter at practices for his authorization.  I
agree with this as well.  However, I notice that this would require a more
personal aproach.  People of authority would have to become personally
involved with people coming in.  It would become more of a supportive group
of peers, a family-group if you will, rather than an offical licensing.
What do you think?  (You=everone, not just Llywelyn).
I will also say that I have gotten some interesting personal discussion and
private correspondence on these matters.  It has been very interesting to
see what people are thinking about what the current trends are in our Rapier
Community.  Please keep things coming.

I will look forward to your responses.

I remain Yours, etc.
Antonio Bastiano